The quickest way to get started programing?

cnctony

I have been solving applications for every type of manufacturing plant from companies all over the world. Everything from what sensors to use (my area of expertise) to drives, motors, servos, HMI, PLC's and switches. I have designed and built $500,000 machines, a 3D copier, improved and solved problems on other OEM machines however I have yet to program a plc. I can conceive and draw complicated relay logic circuit schematics but have not had the need to program until now.

My question is: What is the fastest and least expensive way to learn programming? I have taken the Free Online Tutorial at this web site and need to get up to speed on CNC Ladder programming specifically for CNC Machine Tools and PLC's as well.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Last edited:
If you are interested!

This link will have an RSLogix simulation program you can buy for very little money. You can also download the student exercises from the same site for no charge and I can verify it is a very good way to learn to program PLCs. It is Allen-Bradley specific, but once you get onto programming, all PLCs have a lot of similar features and you will be a leg up on another brand if the need arises.
Good luck!

What brand of CNC? The ladder task in the CNCs I'm familiar with is generally prettyy limited. Most of the 'heavy lifting' in a CNC application is in the part program. Ladder is often an afterthought, for things like turning the coolant pump on and off. Consequently, the ladder instruction set in CNS usually isn't particularly rich.

Thanks for the info!

I have already read through the PLC Editor/Emulator which mimics Allen Bradley's RSLogix 500 software called LogixPro documentation and can't wait to get started. I even ordered the CDkey for only $36.00 what a deal!

Thanks again for the quick response!

Anthony

The most typical CNC

I work mostly with Fanuc controls however I will be working with Vickers and a few other PLC controllers as they come up. I understand that once you learn how to program using "ladder logic" you can program any and all of them. I do understand that there are some minor differences between the different manufactures. I'm pretty smart though and just really need to get started with some real word training at a reasonable price.

Any additional info you could give would be great too.
Especially Fanuc specific training. I have asked here at work and they keep telling me they will send me to training but who knows when that will happen. I'm ready to get started now. I have the time and the will just looking for a little seasoned info from the guy's and gal's who do it every day.

Thanks
Anthony Bridges

CNC ladder

I use FLADDER (Fanuc ladder) programming for Windoze. Works like a champ for editing, labels and all reporting. Don't know the cost, company paid for it. I don't believe it had/has simulation though - we just yell 'Fire-in-the-Hole' and go for it.

Rod (The CNC dude)