ABB Flow meter comms

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Just wondering has anyone here ever successfully managed to communicate from an ABB flow meter via the coms port to a PLC and extract data in an ascii format. Second part of the question, does anyone know of a similar style of flow meter that can communicate via a protocol, not just a current loop or digital IO. Regards Alan Case

Rosemount and MicroMotion (Emerson companies) have meters that "speak" HART, Foundation Fieldbus, and I believe Profibus, other options may be available. Some of the batching transmitters also have printer options.

Ken

Flow meters

Never tried to do it thru coms but I am about to install some 1756-CFM modules in a Control Logix chassis and interface them to a half a dozen Micromotions. They are basically highspeed counters that can read the pulse output out of the Micromotion field transmitters. The real benefit is all of the "canned" programming is built into the module ie Rate, Totalizer, K factor, Scaling....
Plus it will validate flow thru a Prover if you desire.

They looked cool so I bought them basically.

Ill follow up later and let you know how they work.

Dave

PS Check out Foundation Fieldbus......They have all those nifty gadgmos......Just dont let them try to tell you that Delta V is the only process control system there is!
smile.gif

Last edited: