S7 and ABB-Robots

SaenenDirk

Hello out there,
I'm building a palletising-plant with 3 abb-robots; and a S7-416-F PLC.
I want to establish a ethernet-connection between the PLC and the ABB-robots; using IE.
Has anybody done something like this ? Some advice ?

Thanks,

Dirk

What do you want to use the connection for? I regulary connect to ABB S4c via FTP for Backups using FTP voyager/Ultraedit and a crossover cable. Our PLC/robot Connections are for I/O and they are by profibus slaves with a ABB GSD File.

As you probably know almost anything is possible in this field so im sure its possible.

Steve.

Hello Steve,
here's what i would like to do :
1- indeed, i will use a profibus-dp-slave in the robot for fast I/O comm.
2- i would like to use the robot as a "full-slave" to the plc; that is : the plc will send the destination coordinates (like x,y,z, alpha, speed, etc) to the robot - so that the robot only hs to execute this. (It will be a '4-drive' robot). So all the arguments for the MoveL or MoveJ etc.; prob. as well as the instruction itself need to send fron the PLC to the robot - I guess via FTP. On the other hand, the robot must send back his actual position, speed, etc.

So I was wondering if somebody has done something like this.

Thanks.

Dirk

Sounds very interesting, but a tough assignment i think, Could you not create your own servo driven/encoder feedback robot? We have something like this on a priming application, Totally PLC controlled with a Visual Basic front end for co-ordinate teaching?

Anyhow Good Luck

Steve