Question

I can think of several possible answers that your teacher might be looking for.

Look 'em up.

Relay ladder logic, Instruction list, Sequential function chart are among the languages used to program PLCs.

Handheld programmers vs programming software running on PCs.

Thinking about the process, constructing a flow diagram, and planning the program ahead of time vs programming the first thing that pops into your head, then the next, then the next...

Doing it yourself vs hiring somebody else to do it.

If the question is not related to programming languages, such as Ladder Logic, Function Block Diagram, etc. Maybe the question could be relating the means of programming. IE via a PC/Programming Unit through a cable (eg. RS232, Ethernet, Modbus+,) or direct communication through a control panel or keypad mounted on the front of some PLC's.

Just a thought!