AB SLC5/03, DF1 cable length

Mathias

hi all,

can anyone tell me how long i can make my DF1-cable (the length the 1747-cp3 has is not enough)

and if this should by quite short, how long can the branches be on an AIC-network?

thanks in advance,
Mathias

DF1 on RS232 can reach max 12 meters (sometime I have seen 15 meters for RS232).
You could extend the length with isolated RS232/RS422 converters.

DH485 (which I guess you mean by "AIC network") has a maximum reach of 1219 meters (4000 ft) from end to end. I dont think there is a particular maximum limit between nodes, apart from the total max reach of 1219 meters.

Df-1

I've run DF-1 about 65-70 FT. with NO problems on a 5/03. True, good practice is to go 485 but customer needed a 'cheap' fix.

RS 232 workaround

I had a customer that was using an older PC on a RS232 Comm port at 60 feet with no problems.The PC failed and we could not find a replacement on site that would work at more than 30 feet without intermittent problems. What a troubleshooting nightmare. We moved the PC to be able to use a 30 feet long Comm cable. We then added cable to the keyboard, mouse, and monitor to reach the original workstation location.