GX Developer - comments

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All,

I have a bunch of machines with Mitsubishi PLCs where backups have been made but without any comments or statements. Now I also have original programs stored on disk that do have the comments, but I do not know if there is a easy way to get the comments from the old one to the backup?

Is there a regular way anyone does this?

Steve

I have no idea how to copy statements and notes, but you can copy comment file(or program tasks).

Make back ups (both projects).
Open current project (without comment).
Project=>copy.
Select project with comments.
Select comment-file
Execute.

Good luck,
Tmu

Open up 2 sessions of Gx Developer and do a simple cut and paste. Select the text of the comments only, if you select the inputs/outputs it will not work. This will be time consuming, as you can only do one set at a time-- inputs then outputs then timers then counters then m-coils then...

I tried copying the whole comment file, didn't work for me.

Another way is to have the original program with comments open on your PC, then upload the program from the PLC. The logic will be overwritten but the comments will remain. As long as there hasn't been too much editing, this should sort you out.

Time consuming either way, but probably worth it in the end.

Good luck!

Got me thinking, started messing with it myself. Found a new function! Always nice to know more...

Try to use Tools -> Merge Data

As far as I can tell in a few minutes of experimenting, it seems that this is what you are looking for. Open your uncommented program, select Merge data, tell it what data you want from what file, click execute.

I'll try out that Merge Data method. I hadn't found it yet. Thanks.

I already knew about doing the copy/paste method, but like you, I find this to be a bit clunky. I figured there had to be a planned method. Looks like this Merge Data technique is probably it.

Yep. Just got finished giving it a try and, indeed, this is the function I was looking for.

Now why they chose to call it "Merge"......

Steve

Last edited:
play Mitsi for me....

Steve,

with GX IEC developer (I'm sure it's the same with other versions) if you open the Global_Vars, then go to Tools, there's an option to export to Excel (as an .XLS file)

then reimport these into the empty program, and you should have all the tags and descriptions.

this doesn't apply to rung comments though...
;)

Moebius said:
Steve,

with GX IEC developer (I'm sure it's the same with other versions) if you open the Global_Vars, then go to Tools, there's an option to export to Excel (as an .XLS file)

then reimport these into the empty program, and you should have all the tags and descriptions.

this doesn't apply to rung comments though...
;)

Guys,
are we talking GX developer or GX IEC developer??

Does anybody use this (GX-dev, see attacment)to copy parameters,device mem, comments, prgrm tasks/blocks from another project??

:confused: Tmu

Hmmmm....

Yes, GX Developer is what I am using and, no, so far I had not done that yet either.

I never went any farther than the initial screen since it appeared to me that this was merely a way to copy everything at once.

But now that I look further, it sure looks like this is the method they intend for us to use to copy stuff from one project to the next.

Thanks Tmu.

Here is a topic resurrection!!

Turns out that Merge Data is a better choice, if you have some comments in two programs and need to combine them.

Copying Comment is Easy

hi,
Open the project with comment, just write the comment to a csv file. then open the project without comment and read csv file. this will copy all the comment at a time.