Project Ideas

nfg

Hi All. I was woundering if some people would mind shareing what they or others made in school for their final project. I know a lot of people have a hard time comeing up with ideas. Thanks

Some of the projects done at my school are:
Automated Bar
Cookie Maker
Car Wash
Color disk sorter
Coffie maker
Candy machine

A car wash panel, at least is practical. 30 years ago, they would be a 6' x 6' panel full of relays and timers.

Something different, and in use, a cranking panel (autostart) for a diesel engine, with inputs for primary voltage sensing, output sensing, and transfer control from main to auxiallary power and back again.

Engine control logic would have about 5-6 inputs, 6-8 outputs, not counting transfer control and sensing. Add 3 inputs for auto/manual switch, and a input and output for alarm horn and silense. Easy to do, easy to make look really complicated. A few simple switches could simulate the engine running and "fualting" conditions.

regards.....casey

a fully automated machine that folds 2 sides of a metal plate for making plates people use for putting the text in newspapers

sorry i described it that terrible but im not english and i didn't know how else to tell it

-> Battery Operated baby-prem with sensors to self break when it goes down a slop unaided.

-> A robot operated by battery pack. Able to move around slow and steady, strong enough to piggy-back a toddler. Able to sense around its surrounding for objects blocking its path.

-> It's a collaboration with the dept. of Telecommunication studies. A system network for mobile communication in a limited area. it's reliable and able to mass send a short message from a service computer, to a group of people in the area who had their mobile phone number registered in the system. I believe that service is now being used in the campus to send event messages to students.

-> A temporary traffic light system for use when a stretch of road is under service. It uses sensor to count the frequency of cars travelling and adjust the interval timing for the lights to change.

I believe there's a lot more kinds as each group of students have to at best come up with their idea of projects.

A punch press using a air cylinder to feed the metal into the press,By counting the strokes of the cylinder.You would have the clamps to hold the metal, the counter to count and there would be safety invloved also.ie: not to stroke if hands were in the way and so on. Not many I/O's but a lot of logic.

Regards,
Tom

something to do with safety interlocks, you will see that a lot. and latch the faults so they don't just flash and go away.

Why not something that has long term value, say like a simple bottle filling and capping machine for Home Brewed beverages.

Operator places a bottle in a station, presses a button, bottle is filled.
Operator places bottle at 2nd station, presses button, bottle is capped.
You will have to think about safety aspects of the system, don't want to loose a finger while capping a bottle.

:D

Last edited:
To go along with Ken Moores idea on bottling equipment.

Automated ammunition reloading?? Very time consuming. Lots n lots of steps in process so a PLC would be appropriate(?)

Dan Bentler

JohnW said:
A battery driven go-cart with variable speed dc drive. This was in 1976.

John, How did that work out? I'm doing the same with my son. We're using a transaxle from a scooter and a PWM motor controller..