Siemens S5 After Sales Support

hagos

Hi Sparkies,

Does any one know till when will Siemens support the S5 family, I heard lots of confusing data on this.

I appreciate your help.

Regards
Hagos

Hagos,

it's quite possible you've heard several different dates. That's because the phase-out is different for the various families and for different countries (as I've been told). For Belgium the situation is as follows:
  1. S5-90U, S5-95U and S5-100U are no longer available for new installations from 30/09/2004 on but defective units can be replaced up to 30/09/2013.
  2. S5-115 is still available till 30/09/2005, but from that date till 30/09/2014 only replacement is possible.
  3. S5-135/155 are normally available till 30/09/2006, but from that date till 30/09/2015 only replacement is possible.
So after 30/09/2015 it's goodbye to S5. Since the smaller families are most used, we must take into consideration we have a good 8 years to scheduled the conversion to S7 (or something completely different).

Hope this info is of any help to you.

Kind regards,

Just a small elaboration to Jean Pierre's post.
I belive that "replacement" means that you have to send the defective part to Siemens, whereafter Siemens will send another or repair the defective one.
It means that you must count on downtime in the meantime.
If downtime is unacceptable to you, you better start to stock some critical spare parts !

Jesper,

as always: you've hit the nail right on its head! Replacement indeed means replacement of the module (if one is available) or replacement of the defective part on the module. Either way this will mean more or less considerable downtime.

I do know companies who are already busy changing over to S7. They however hold on to the S5 parts they take out, because of reducing downtime on machines which are scheduled to be refurnished with S7 on a later date.

I believe there will be opportunities ahead if you can get hold on some S5 modules to trade in the near future. Especially people who don't believe the downtime part could well be forced to pay high prices to those visionaries, simply because they have no alternatives.

Kind regards,