AD card relays??

elevmike

Has anybody had any expierance with these.. I'm considering using them and wondering if they can hold up to the job.. about 200 cycles a day. inductive load @ 120 ac 3 amps..

Hate to find out the hard way...

Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
It's up to you Mike...

I prefer using transistor outputs to drive a "Load Handler".

My favorite "Load Handler" method is to use opto-isolators. The load-side is isolated from the PLC. The whole point is to protect the PLC as much as possible (reasonable) against unnecessary failures. A failure in the field should never affect the PLC hardware.

Even fusing provides only a certain amount of protection.

Other, less favorable, methods include a Solid-State Switches, or Interposing Relays with very light current demands by the coil.

If you happen to use a PLC with built-in Relay Outputs in the Processor Module, and all of those outputs are used, and then, if you have a failure in one of those output relays, you have to replace the entire Processor Module!

If, on the other hand, you count heavily on a lot of replacement-part business then using relays is the best way to increase your future replacement-part sales... however, I'm sure that is a poor plan for the long term... customers won't like the idea of having to buy the system over, and over, again through replacement parts.

Opto-isolators provide a great deal of peace-of-mind. You don't have to worry about "finding out the hard way".

The cheapest opto-isolators I've seen (aside from building my own with an opto-chip... less than 25-cents!) is from Opto-22. Each module (one per output) is only five or six bucks.

Terry, these are pretty good sized valve coils. The application would be with a AD D0-06DR (relay output) the card relays are actually 4 spst e-m relays in what looks like a KH base. The whole purpose is to protect the PLC since replacement of the PLC relay is not an option..

John, that what I thought, but I couldnt find erics post regarding these in a search. Eric has about 2000+ posts..So... Hope to hear from him soon..

Thanks..

elevmike said:
John, that what I thought, but I couldnt find erics post regarding these in a search. Eric has about 2000+ posts..So... Hope to hear from him soon..

You're not alone, Mike. Even I have trouble finding my own posts... ;)

The trick was to search for "card relay", not relays. That turned up these 2 posts:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=43350&postcount=1
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=79028&postcount=1

I've used probably a dozen of these 4-position modules, with zero complaints other than that one possible issue mentioned in those posts. I highly doubt the card relay was the cuprit.

🍻

-Eric

P.S. If you don't use the jumper bars that come with them, please send them my way. They're extremely handy for jumpering DL405 analog modules!... :nodi:

Last edited: