Plc S5 Eprom

HABIBI

Helo
I have some problem it has below:
I have one PLC S5 that is running whit RAM ,then i transfer program by PG to EPROM . Now the PLC is not working with EPROM.
When I back to RAM and transfer program , PLC also running .
We repeat above by another EPROM the problem like before.
Please help me what happen?
Thank you
Habibi

You need to transfer the program from EPROM to RAM. It's been about 10 years, so I forget the exact sequence. Something like flip to stop, then while holding down the overall reset, flip back and forth from stop to run a few times. This forces the PLC to load the program from EPROM.

I'm sure the Siemens guys will be here in an hour or 2 to give you the right sequence... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

If you perform the following steps this will reload the progam from the EEPROM

Set the CPU to stop mode.
Set and hold the 'default/overall reset' button into the or position.
Switch the CPU selector switch twice from 'ST' to 'RN'
The stop LED will momentarily go off.
Release the overall reset switch and the CPU will now have preformed an overall reset and re-read the program from the EEPROM.

Paul

Search the reason of not operation in the interrupt register:
Test --> Output Plc info --> Istack --> < | > (or 0 Ins in a PC)
Often the program needs some DB area in RAM.

Eric Nelson said:
...flip to stop, then while holding down the overall reset, flip back and forth from stop to run a few times.
PLucas said:
Set the CPU to stop mode.
Set and hold the 'default/overall reset' button into the or position.
Switch the CPU selector switch twice from 'ST' to 'RN'

Wow, my memory's better than I thought!...:D

🍻

-Eric

This is also from memory (10 years back):

I think that the various S5 models require different procedures to reset the memory.
The 95U for example, only require you to shutdown, insert the EPROM and remove the battery, wait one minute, and then power up (without the battery), when the red LED starts to flash quickly (indicating that the EPROM is being read), you can insert the battery again.
The procedures described by Eric and Paul applies to 115U (and maybe 135U I think).

edit: What I described also applies to the S5-100U series.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
The procedures described by Eric and Paul applies to 115U (and maybe 135U I think).

It certainly applies to the 115U because, unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on what your view of S5 is, the 115U is the only S5 PLC I deal with.

Paul

Try just transfer PB, FB and OB to EPROM. After that, online, transfer DB's to CPU. Maybe there are some dynamic DB's that CPU dont like to be static...

After resetting the memory and inserting the EPROM with the program, you can check by going online that the blocks gets loaded properly.
If the memory is blank, then the problem is with the reset procedure.
If the memory is filled with blocks, then the problem could be with some DB as suggested before. Checking the BSTACK and/or USTACK (aka ISTACK) will tell you more why the CPU goes into STOP.

And, what type CPU do you have ?

JesperMP said:

I think that the various S5 models require different procedures to reset the memory.
The 95U for example, only require you to shutdown, insert the EPROM and remove the battery, wait one minute, and then power up (without the battery), when the red LED starts to flash quickly (indicating that the EPROM is being read), you can insert the battery again.

This is correct Jesper, i did the same on a 95u a few months back and it worked fine.

Its important (as i found out) to remove the battery or the eprom load doesnt work!

Good Memory!

Thankyou JesperMP,
This is i was apply yesterday on S5-100U-5 (6ES5-103-8MA03). Very well working.
Regards
Srinivas.Sangem

Congrats srinivas.

I have to say that anything S5 is totally obsolete, and you should consider how to migrate to something newer. Continuing to use an S5 in a working machine or process is like gambling on how long it will work.

No it can be that old.. Only fifth decade is going (70's,80's,90's,00's&10's).

*Oftopic*
What was the German company that made 1:1 S5 parts, I have lost the name. :(