Modbus RS485 or Ethernet for 27 plc network

JimR

Hi,

I have a system in which I have to put together a network of 27 PLCs with an HMI. Each PLC will have an encoder connected to it and be controlling the position of a motor shaft. I'll probably be using the KOYO DL06 plcs. I'm trying to decide whether to go with Ethernet or Modbus RS485 for the protocol. I'm concerned that the polling time for 27 PLCs on the bus will be slow with Modbus RS485. I think ethernet would be easier when it comes to debugging and maintenance but I've never used it in a system like this so I'm unsure which way to go. For the HMI I would like to use Maple Systems but their panels don't support extended addressing via Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP. Other than this it looks like they have a lot of great features the EZTOUCH panels from Automation Direct don't have. Are there other HMIs that can control via Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP? If you have any thoughts please let me know. Thanks!
Jim

Adding to this question, has anyone used the EZpanel Enhanced HMIs from EZautomation? Looks the same as EZtouch with enhanced software. I'm particularly interested in being able to overlay buttons. Does this mean I can send out multiple messages with one touch without having to resort to a recipe object? Thinking about using EZpanels for the application below. Still looking for suggestions for implementing this application.
JimR said:
Hi,

I have a system in which I have to put together a network of 27 PLCs with an HMI. Each PLC will have an encoder connected to it and be controlling the position of a motor shaft. I'll probably be using the KOYO DL06 plcs. I'm trying to decide whether to go with Ethernet or Modbus RS485 for the protocol. I'm concerned that the polling time for 27 PLCs on the bus will be slow with Modbus RS485. I think ethernet would be easier when it comes to debugging and maintenance but I've never used it in a system like this so I'm unsure which way to go. For the HMI I would like to use Maple Systems but their panels don't support extended addressing via Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP. Other than this it looks like they have a lot of great features the EZTOUCH panels from Automation Direct don't have. Are there other HMIs that can control via Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP? If you have any thoughts please let me know. Thanks!
Jim