AB software question

rowens

I recently was given a new laptop at work. no floppy.
I noticed that most of the new laptops no longer use a floppy drive. they have also done away with serial and paraell ports.

I have an older version of the AB software that uses a floppy dongle.

How can I remove the dongle and software from the older laptop and reinstall it on the new laptop?

I have not contacted customer service as of yet because I have seen that information here is usually more understandable {for the ones of us that do not do this everyday}.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Floppy dongle? Do you mean a CD key?

If so, try and get a copy of EVMoveCF.exe from your Rockwell support. It's the utility they use to put keys on a USB memory stick without corrupting the poor stick.

AK

you could also buy a USB floppy drive....I had to do this to get all the software onto my new laptop. They run about $30-35 USD.

additional questions

I will have to talk with my boss and see if he wants to purchase a usb floppy drive.
I do have a writable CD on both units. Can it be used?

I do have an occasional access to a network.
Are there any software that I need to load onto the network in order to "move" the key(dongle)?

I have never removed one and reinstalled it before, but I was told by a friend that it would have to be done. He did not know how.

What do I need to do to not lose any existing programs on my old laptop? Can they be copied to a writable CD? If so, What file folder or extentions would I need to look for to get the ladder and comments?

if using RS500, the files you saved should be in the RS500 sub-folder 'Project'...same for RS5...sub-folder 'Project'. Look under the following (guessing you're using Windows...) Program Files/Rockwell Software/RS500 or RS5 for PLC5. I've copied an install disc from floppy to CD without errors, but couldn't "move" the activation to it. Something to do with writing the CD.

thanks.

It just seemed to me if I could move the activation to a network then I should be able to move it to a writable CD. I have never tried it either way.

Just in case noone has mentioned this. RSLogix 5.20 is needed for WinXP. I have heard that older versions like 4.50 could be installed on XP but had issues, 5.00 usually will not install.

I would investigate thorughly the issues if the laptop has XP...especially with SP2.

The utility that moves the activation from the floppy keydisk to the harddrive and back is called "EVMOVE".

EVMOVE only works with floppy disks, hard disks, and networked hard disks. It does not work with CD's, or DVD's, or USB or removable card storage like CompactFlash or SecureDigital.

The easiest and safest thing to do is get a USB floppy drive. The amount of time you have already spent worrying about it should buy the drive. Who knows, you might need a floppy someday for another reason.

The EvmoveCF version of EVMOVE will work with removable memory devices, like USB flash drives. If you already have one of these devices, get EvmoveCF from A-B technical support.

I have to agree with Ken and Stasis on getting a USB Floppy driver. It's really very useful when your notebook computer does not have the floppy driver.

For RSlogix, I remember that after you transfered the activation key from the original source to another computer, the program from the original source will ceased to function anymore. Someone from another thread once said that if you have to use the same program on 2 computers, you can have one activation key in one program, and use the master disk manual activation on the other computer.

regards
Sherine T.

Steve Meisel said:
Try mapping a network drive to your USB memory stick and then do your EVMove to the memory stick.

NO!!!

There's a reason EVMoveCF was created. Through the grapevine, I've heard that moving an activation to a USB stick with plain-old EVMove does something very strange to the file structure on the stick. The description I got was that the file space on the stick will shrink (like the drive size is getting smaller). I've never tried it, so I don't know if a format or low-level format fixes the problem. Maybe I should use my AB pen drive to try this out. :)

USB drives can get corrupted, too. But then again, so do floppies. I much prefer putting my activations on the hard drive.

AK

Please pardon my ignorance of software.

The original version is 5.20.00, this is the one loaded.
I have several updates but the AB project was put on hold for 2 years.they were never loaded.
Now they are talking about doing it. It will probably be in the next couple of months when it is started.
We already have all of the plc's and panelviews that are new.
The other updates are 5.50.00.
I then have cd called standard /starter version 6.00.00 and cd version 6.20.00.
The rslinx software is version 2.31.00.

Another question is do I have to load the first cd 5.20.00 and then use each upgrade or can I just use 6.20.00 and reinstall activation?
I have found the original floppy disk labeled standard edition master disk.
1 install. is this the disk needed to move activation / dongle?

How Well will this work with windows xp profesional?

I apreciate your help.