Sacrilege ! Not using Belden 9463 for DH+.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,
I am contemplating using some other cable than Belden for DH+.
The reason is that I find the Belden cable awfully expensive, its 3-4 times the price of a Profibus cable.
In the past I have used just an ordinary screened cable if I didnt have enough Belden cable, and it ran just fine.
So if we assume that I use DH+ at less than max specifications, is there something more "DH+ like" than just any screened cable ?
Does anyone know the electrical specifications of the Belden 9643 cable ?

I believe these are the specs:
"Cable; Total Number of Conductors: 2; Jacket Material: Polyethylene; No. Strands x Strand Size: 7 x 28; Conductor Size AWG: 20; Voltage (Nom): 300V; Jacket Color: Blue; Impedance: 78Ohms; Number of Pairs: 1 "

Hi again, I found the electrical specs on the Belden site as LittleOne suggested.

Nom. Characteristic Impedance:78 Ω
Nom. Inductance:0.12 µH/ft
Nom. Capacitance Conductor to Conductor @ 1 KHz:19.7 pF/ft
Nom. Cap. Cond. to Other Cond. & Shield @ 1 KHz:36 pF/ft
Nominal Velocity of Propagation:66 % Nominal Delay:1.54 ns/ft
Nom. Conductor DC Resistance @ 20 Deg. C:9.5 Ω/1000 ft
Nominal Outer Shield DC Resistance:4.1 Ω/1000 ft

When talking about the "Capacitance" of a cable with nothing else described, I suppose that it is meant the capacitance between one of the signal conductors to another conductor or shield. Or ?

I have allready found a cable with a nominal characteristic impedance of 70 Ohm and a capacitance of 140 pF/m.
Maybe that is close enough to specifications. It is only 1/5 the price of the Belden cable.

Last edited:
Does THIS look like a DH+ cable:
C367965-01.jpeg

It has 78 Ohm impedance and 65pF/m capacitance. That fits the specs pretty close (if the "capacitance" is between conductors).
And it is 110 EURO per 100 meters. Only a little more than a Profibus cable.

JesperMP said:
Does THIS look like a DH+ cable:
C367965-01.jpeg

It has 78 Ohm impedance and 65pF/m capacitance. That fits the specs pretty close (if the "capacitance" is between conductors).
And it is 110 EURO per 100 meters. Only a little more than a Profibus cable.
Pretty close! It's even blue.
Genuine blue hose has a bare drain conductor and a foil shield.
I think the characteristic impedance is the most significant spec.

When we buy it via AB/Rockwell we pay close to list price which is 3500 Danish Kroner per 120 meter
(Approx 400 EURO per 100 meter).

Maybe I should look for alternative suppliers of Belden cables.