Share of PLC Market

Unregistered

U
I am attempting to locate a recent survey that will show the percent of the PLC market that is enjoyed by the major PLC vendors (A-B, Modicon, etc.). Does anyone know of a web site that would have such a survey available?

I saw this info several years ago somewhere, on a plc site or a controls magazine. I had wanted to know this myself.

As I remember, AB had over 50%. Siemans was a distant second (16%?), then GE Fanuc (8%?).

I would bet YOUR next paycheck on these numbers (but not mine!).

With AD raising in popularity, and other new players, I would expect a shift in the numbers if they were close at one time.

Omron has tremendous overseas sales, Entertron has been around over 25 years, then there are a lot of others (IDEC, crozet, TRI, etc.) that keep plodding along.

My guess for the top five would be:
Allen Bradley
Siemans
GE Fanuc
Omron
Automation Direct

I think the following round off the top ten (not neccessarily in order):
Moeller
Entertron
Mitsubishi
Schneider
Telemechanique (or whoever they are now)

With a couple of mergers and name changes, and the dozens of small companies, and the even smaller still companies, I could easily see a list of the top 100 plc manufactureres.

If you look at the "Learn PLC's" button, then the "Manufacturers Links" button, you will see a lot of names you probably have never seen hardware for, not counting the others that aren't listed.

Maybe we should start a thread with pictures of plc's "Name That PLC" for some of the oddball ones.

Now to google a search, and probably not find much. However, if it is out there, Eric will find it!

regards......casey

Alan Badly

I wish I knew how to insert the "AB Bash" smiley that Eric Nelson once posted.

LOL @ at the Alan Badly guy. Toshiba makes a nice, friendly PLC that I found very easy and quick to learn. Plus, the software is practically free and free tech support.

This coming week to get to attend a Rockwell Seminar on their latest and greatest. They have a 5800 series hands on workshop among other things. Should be interesting. Best thing though is the free breakfast and lunch.

Alan Badly

Wish I could go, and wear my "Alan Badly" ID Pin, complete with the AB-Bash gif. Wonder how you could put that one a pin? Eric could figure it out.

So without further adew (or however you spell it), somewhere on here should be the gif.

By the way, my blinking green light avatar is a A-B unit.

regards, all.....casey

abbash.gif
abbash.gif
abbash.gif

I have uploaded the AB-BASH.gif. I don't know to where, but it is somewhere. If nothing else, maybe the LINK will work, where I found it hiding! "LINK"

abbash.gif

Last edited:
I had it on my desktop, but if I put it in "Word" or Netscape, they would crash.

I won't embarress myself in saying how long I tried to upload it, only to not be able to show up.

So, search the forums for something where I was trashing AB, which narrowed it down to 4 or 5 pages. Basically, I got lucky.

thanks for the creativity

regards.....casey