What my choices would be?

hagos

Dear sparkies,

It'd been long time since I last work on S5 family, where I moved to a company with the S7 platform, then our company acquired a small company which operates S5 in parallel with some S7 CPU's.Our current status is as follows:

- For the S7 PLC's we don't have any problem, we have the necessary software & cables to backup our programs.
- For the S5 we don't have any software or cables to access the CPU's.

My question is:What exactly we need (software/cables) to have to get our S5 program backed up.

I appreciate your continuous help.

Hagos

Hello hagos;

Siemens offers Step 5 for the S5 family of PLCs. They are now at version 7.2(works under Windows 2000 and XP).
Full version, for all S5 CPUs (95-U, 100-U, 115-U, 135-U and 155-U) is part no. 6ES5 894-0MA04; Mini version (for 95-U and 100-U only) is part no. 6ES5 864-0MA04. Don't jump to high when you see pricing.
Alternatively, you can look at S5 for Windows, from IBH.
http://www.graf-automation.de/english/didactic/software/s5/

Cable for the programming port to your Comx port is (from Siemens) part no. 6ES5 734-1BD20.
Remember that Siemens makes a great use of EPROM modules to maintain the progrm in the S5 CPUs, so you might have to look into a Prom Burner and software, on top of everything else.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Daniel,

Thanks alot for your reply, from your reply looks like the cable fits in the serial port(if I got it right), but as you know most of nowadays laptops are equipped with USB ports only, I wounder if Siemens offers a USB--->CPU cable.

Best regards
Hagos

Hello hagos;

Sorry, can't help you there. I don't believe that there is a USB adapter for the TTY converter in the 734 cable. It requires power from the Com port pins so I don't think its is impossible to find a USB adapter somewhere, but I know Siemens wouldn't develop anything like that for a legacy product. Your best bet would be to look at purchasing a laptop with a real serial port. They are still available from Dell, the Inspiron models I believe. probably from other manufacturers too.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks guys for the information, our purchasing dept has placed an order to buy the software & cable.

A last question, does this software conflict with my Step7? I mean has any one of u installed it in a PC already contains S7 in?

I appreciate your help as usual.

Cheers
Hagos

Hello hagos;
Step 5 and Step 7 co-exist very well on one computer. They do not interfere with one another in any way, to my experience.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks Daniel,

But I forgot to tell you guys that the software we ordered is the one that provided by IBH , not the Siemens software.

Cheers
Hagos