PLC Training

Steve Clanton

We need to train the maint mechanics at our plant in the basics of using a plc at our facility. We use PLCS from multiple OEMs including AB, Ge, Siemens, and automation directHa s anyone used anyone they would recommend or possibly work for someone?

plc training

i think you need some one to explaen to your thecnics who to work whith a plc or you need some one to make that job.
so if you need some one to make that work i can do it but i live in Portugal.
so if you are interested in this contact me by e-mail
[email protected]

Hands-On Training with the best

Steve, have you checked out NTT (www.nttinc.com ? We are the leader in hands-on industrial training ranging from hydraulics, HVAC, electrical controls, PLCs, etc.

I am in charge of our PLC and electrical controls seminars and would like to speak with you regarding our PLC seminar and how we might be able to customize it for your facility.

Please feel free to email me, with a phone number, and I will contact you with the specifics, outlines, course material, etc. ([email protected])

God Idea!

I had not considered contracting an individual. I'm not sure how that we could supply whatever training material and whatever text you may want. We are located in Southern FL ( which might be nice for some of you who may be thinking about getting away from some cold weather for a little while.) Any companies feel free to send me your website or any information. Any individuals please send a resume and the name of your recommended text.
Thanks
[email protected]

a word of advice

Steve,

Well, it looks like you’re going to get plenty of help with your training requirements. May I offer a word of advice? Before you go too far down this road, you need to sit down and carefully define ON PAPER what you mean when you say “the basics of using a plc”. Specifically, just exactly what skills do you want your people to have after they’ve successfully completed their training?

Consider this: When you said that you need “AB, GE, Siemens, and Automation Direct” you just bit off four separate software packages. Covering just the very “basics” of these packages is going to require several days of training - and that’s going to be IN ADDITION to the actual PLC hardware systems.

Once you have defined your training objectives ON PAPER, I’ll bet that you’ll find out that the training your people require isn’t really all that “basic” after all. In many cases, “basic” training teaches someone just enough to make them dangerous.

Please don’t take this as an effort to discourage you from trying to train your people. Training is good. Do it. But I’d suggest that you have a carefully defined specification of exactly what you’re shopping for. If this isn’t done correctly, you can end up throwing a lot of good money down the tubes - and actually end up worse off than when you started. A competent training contractor will be glad to go over your “shopping list” and give you specific answers as to how his/her training is designed to satisfy your objectives. Then ask for references - and then follow up by contacting those references. Shop smart.

Finally, I’m sure that if you were to post a request for help in defining a “basic” set of PLC skills, you’d get plenty of responses from the regular posters on this forum.

Good luck.

PLC is a valuable tool for maint.

Guest,
You are right. I certainly dont expect to teach some mechanics how to write programs for all the models of PLCs that we have. Thats why we have engineers!
I did say "use a PLC', because our programs are fairly complicated and hard to troubleshoot. That's why we have PLCSs, is so that instead of putting a meter to who knows how many timers, relays, counters, etc. The mechanic can look at the program and find out that proximity switch that isnt made (probably because someone smashed the cord and didnt tell you) and is holding up our production(All those lights on the front are great, but only if you know how to look up what they mean).
Saving space is also a plus, but the speed that you can troubleshoot a complex application is what makes the sale in most manufacturing facilities.

You are right. I certainly dont expect to teach some mechanics how to write programs for all the models of PLCs that we have. Thats why we have engineers!

Just because maint. personel are not engineers does not mean they cannot write code. If you have a engineer that can write code for all plc's I promise you he did not learn sitting in some college class. He paid his dues in the workplace. If you have such hot shot engineers, why waste your money, let them teach them!

Misinterpreted

I did not say that a maint tech cant learn code. Just that we are not going to teach a mechanic (non-electrical personnel) how to write it. That is not going to justify the cost. I am a mechanic (trained as a machinist mate in the Navy and then became a millwright). But, i have taught myself to write programs, because I want to excel at my job. There are times that I have written code to make equipment work (temporarily bypassing a 0 pressure switch and using a timer to replace a photoeye), but as you know those once in a blue moon uses are not cost effective.
Anyone who has had to do the cost analysis on this issue knows how hard it is to justify spending any money on maintenance (figuring true cost of downtime or not). I think you misinterpreted.
As for our Engineering department teaching, they are very busy also. I wish it was that simple. Also, just because you can do something doesn't mean you can teach someone else to do it EFFICIENTLY AND EFFECTIVELY. You have to take a tech off the floor to train them and if that isnt bad enough you have to pay them too. Time is very expensive. Our techs are spread thin as it is. The difference in cost between using a professional trainer and our programmer has been the easiest to justify.
All of us learn on the job and pay our dues in the workplace. If a tech learns something on his own that makes him more valuable, thats good and we have a pay for knowledge program for that. If we provided the level of traing that is required to teach our techs to be a full out programmer, we would be able to afford them anymore. Some stuff you have to "pay your dues" to get

Last edited:
Sorry it seemed like a rant. It is very hard to get well rounded training for your guys. Siemens, AB etc want alot of money per person.
Its hard to get a plant manager to bite on that. I do think that siemens and ab have very good training, but who can afford it for 15 tech's? Maybe finding some local instructor or some of these guys on this site would get your guys good 1 on 1 training. Good Luck.

Have you talked at all to a local Community College? The class I'm enrolled in right now is at the local CC. It's an Allen Bradley specific class being taught by someone with a good deal of real world troubleshooting and coding experience. I'd check out a local CC and see what they can set up for you. You may be very surprised.