Siemens FM357-2 4-Axis Controller

I have a problem setting up an FM357-2, and would appreciate any guidance. I haven't used one before, but that's OK, because I don't normally use Siemens either.

The FM357-2 has been grafted onto an existing design with a 314 CPU and an FM352 cam controller. When I dragged in the FM357-2 library functions, I screwed up the re-naming of some of the blocks (some FM357-2 blocks don't rename), but I think I've untangled that now. The firmware for for the FM357-2 seems to load OK according to the flashy lights, but FC22 reports basic error W#16#0101. The parameterization tool says the FM can't communicate with the CPU, but is otherwise OK.

I've tried using FB4 with FMRES to reset the FM, but I can't make head or tail of "PISERVICES", and using "PI_DI".FMRES as a parameter just errors.

Unfortunately only one of the examples listed in the manual has installed off the CD, so it's not much help.

All I want to do is run an NC program in the FM. I haven't written the program yet, as I only discovered NC programming when we opened the box, and I've not used that before either. All I need is a bit of interpolation to synchronise the position of product on some conveyors. As a CNC problem, I'm sure it's pretty trivial, but it's a bit harder when you don't understand the FM.

Any sample code, or advice that doesn't involve a passport in a different name will be greatly appreciated.