SLC & Visual Basic Interfacing

sandymax

Hello all,
we having Emulator for RSlogix 500 if any one knows how to connect Visual Basic code with Micrologix / SLC PLC like DMA (Direct Memory access)
is it possible by using OLE object in VB and RSLinx OPC server /
Pls help me if nay one having some testing code

Thanks
sandy

RSLinx "connects" to the emulator just like a real PLC.
So if RSLinx is everything else but "lite", then you should indeed be able to set up OPC topics for the emulated PLC program.

Disclaimer: Have never tried it - but cant see why it shouldnt work.

I guess you have to dependent on third party drivers from either "In Gear" - From Software toolbox, or vHMI Automation drivers, or ................many others.

I have yet to try any, but downloaded the samples from internet and was able to try it in time limited period.

Good Luck.

chavak said:
I guess you have to dependent on third party drivers from either "In Gear" - From Software toolbox, or vHMI Automation drivers, or ................many others.

Sadly no, it is only RSLinx that knows how to connect to RSEmulate 500.

For what ever its worth there is a free .NET component DLL driver for SLC available on my web site at www.tomantron.com
You have to use it with VB.NET ,will not work with VB6.
It uses standard "Protected typed logical read and write with three adddress fields" to communicate to a PLC. I don't see why
emulator would not support this? You don't need RSLinx to use it.
Give it a shot, it's free.

Hi Jiri,
I see that your driver uses DF1.
How do you "connect" it to the emulator when there is no real DF1 port ?

If you look in RSLinx, it uses a special driver - not DF1 - to connect to the emulator.

I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Actually, the driver in RSLinx is called "SLC500 (DH485) Emulator Driver".
Maybe there is a strange way to connect to the emulator via DH485 protocol, but the problem is: there is no COM port to connect to.

Hello TimeFluxCap,
Our web site is up and running, it may have been temporarilly down
but I have not noticed. You should be able to get on.

Jesper,
I must admit that I don't know a damn thing about the RS Emulate.
I presumed that it would run on a separate PC and look like an
SLC500 ?? Apparently it runs on the same PC as RSLinx, my mistake.

Jiri Toman said:
Hello TimeFluxCap,
Our web site is up and running, it may have been temporarilly down
but I have not noticed. You should be able to get on.

Jesper,
I must admit that I don't know a damn thing about the RS Emulate.
I presumed that it would run on a separate PC and look like an
SLC500 ?? Apparently it runs on the same PC as RSLinx, my mistake.

Hi Jiri

I can see your site now! Thanks

Damn Windows updates creating havoc on my machine, made me post the same thing twice

icon8.gif
icon10.gif

Jiri,
you are right that "emulate" must run on the same PC as RSLinx.
"SoftLogix" though should be reachable via DF1 and the COM port I believe.

TimeFlux,
tip: If you can edit a post, then you can also delete it. ;)

Not Understand Your comments

JenperMP

I am not understand your Comments
pls explanin, so that i cam unerstand
i have downloaded AutomationSolution Activx control for DH485 prtocol
Pls let us know t your experiment

Thanks
Sandy

SandyMax,
I understand that your task is to access the emulated program in RS Emulate 500 from Visual Basic. (correct me if I am wrong).

Your only real way to do this is to use OPC via RSLinx OEM (or higher) - just like you suggest yourself.
If you then want to switch to a real PLC at a later time, then you just have to change the driver in RSLinx.

Forget DH485 and the ActiveX driver from AutomatedSolutions.
It doesnt work with RSEmulate500.

I should not have mentioned DH485 at all. I was only theoretically speculating if there was some odd way to connect via DH485 protocol because the is "DH485" in the name of the driver in RSLinx: "SLC500 (DH485) Emulator Driver".