Compatibility check

leitmotif

Greetings from the dry Northwest.

I am starting my 2nd quarter project. It is to use VFD and PLC to control imaginary automated drill to drill holes in a circular part say a flange with six bolt holes. Machine will
1. index the part
2. then drill hole
3. rotate part to next position
4. drill next hole.

Because we cannot purchase we are restricted to scrounging, cannibalize, borrowing, begging, etc. We have complete setups for hydraulic component learning (pumps, valves, servo valves etc etc).
SO the drive motors for the drill and for the index table are hydrulic. Each drive motor setup has a tach gen and a potentiometer for position sensing. Drive speed is appprox 2 to 300 RPM. Tach gen is 7Volt per 1000 RPM.

VFD will control pump speed, PLC AB 5/05 will control drill speed via the pump speed using the VFD. I think we are going to be OK on pump speed to control drill speed.

The snag is on the part rotation. We intend to use a stepper to rotate the part.
We have
1. a stepper motor but I did not bring home the data on it.
2. AB 1746 HSTP1 stepper controller module (this is never used still sealed). AB manual says we need a stepper translater.
3. Instructor dug out a
Warner Electric Slo Syn model number SS 2000 MD 7
RATINGS 24 to 75 VDC 4 amps.

I looked at factory web page to see if compatible with AB controller no mention.
E mailed local rep and factory -- awaiting response.

AT LAST -- The question
1. Will the Slo Syn be compatible with the AB stepper control module.
2. Have any of you used this combination?
3. What success (or lack of) did you have???

Thanks for the help

Dan Bentler

I screwed up. The drive for the indexer (part rotator) will be electric stepper motor. It is not going to be hydraulic. Sorry for letting my confusion get loose.

Dan

Thought I would bring this up front to ensure it does not get buried. Only 35 have looked at it. Want to try to find the person (doin PC here) who has used this equipment. SO far no response from local vendor

Dan

The only time I dealt with Slo-syn motors it wasnt actually a stepper system, it was more or less a variable speed controlled unit using an RC network.

I tried to get the manual for your setup...I got a little lost with the numbers etc.

This may help understand about stepper motors and translators. A circuit which is responsible for converting step and direction signals into winding energization patterns is called a translator. Most stepper motor control systems include a driver in addition to the translator, to handle the current drawn by the motor's windings.

In your case the PLC module should be the tranlator but you will need a drive/amplifier to provide the current. From the numbers you gave it seemed to me you have a motor and driver. I have not used that combination so can not offer details without seeing the manuals.

Well nuts.

Thought (hoped) I could find someone who uses this combo all the time so I could get the tips n tricks on how not to screw up.
Have enquiry into local rep and his 1 800 number so all is not lost - yet.

Thanks for the response

Dan

I have done alot of stepper systems...I had a gravoflex printing press with 56 stepper motors on it. I used a DL05 to setup a test bench for the motors and drivers. If you can get a link to both manuals then it shouldnt be difficult to setup.