Interesting DH+ conflict

TimeFluxCap

Onsite we have a SLC500 5/04 with a PV1400e PanelView plugged into it, happily communicating away.

When you plug into the DH+ plug on the front of SLC to monitor online, the PanelView comes up with an error message up the top of the screen stating "DH+ port is being used by another device" and proceeds to scroll through some addresses.

When you disconnect the error goes away. Anyone got any idea what this is about. The RSlinx setting is station 0 so I dont think thats it?

Processor or PV maybe set to zero too. Try setting yours to another address.

Maybe the polling rate is too high on the PV?

I've done a lot of work on PV1400Es and don't remember seeing that one; don't have one at the office right now to try it out.

Last edited:
Im not at work at the mo so cant check it out 100% I believe SLC was station1 and the PV was station 2.

I will check out the polling rate, where exactly is that in PV1400e? Im sure I can find it but I have never had to program or download this one before.

TimeFluxCap said:
Im not at work at the mo so cant check it out 100% I believe SLC was station1 and the PV was station 2.

I will check out the polling rate, where exactly is that in PV1400e? Im sure I can find it but I have never had to program or download this one before.

You'd need to upload the program out of the terminal with Panelbuilder 32 and then look through the tag database at the individual tags and examine the update frequency for each.

I suspect this is not the problem though. When you connect the PC, were you able to see both the PV and the SLC in RSWho? Just wondering if the physical connection was right.

No I couldnt see the PV! The connection is hard wired blue hose DH+. This intallation has never had its termination resistors either at the SLC and PV terminations, but it has run like this since 1997. Do you think this could be possible cause?

Im 900km from the plant at the moment so Im just going on memory.

TimeFluxCap said:
No I couldnt see the PV! The connection is hard wired blue hose DH+. This intallation has never had its termination resistors either at the SLC and PV terminations, but it has run like this since 1997. Do you think this could be possible cause?

Im 900km from the plant at the moment so Im just going on memory.

Yes, you've got it. Check to make sure that the 3 wires of the "blue hose" is using the proper connections at both ends. You should be able to see both devices in RSwho.

jstolaruk,

As I am sure you are aware. The PV1400e has its on programming software.
Panelbuilder 32 will not work with the PV1400e

Yes PanelBuilder1400e is required. On a side note, it anyone installs it on XP you have to download a path from Microsoft, seems they forgot about their partner ship with Rockwell when they brought out XP.

DO you have to power down the system to wire in the terminators? I know you will lose comms while the DH+ connections are open but does this cause a lockup or something along those lines if the processor is running?

Don't forget to check the node number of the comm. card in the PC and make sure all three devices have unique numbers. I, too, have seen networks improperly terminated and run for years trouble free. I've seen daisy chain and star patterns combined on the same network (DH+ and RIO) with no problems. I've even heard stories about DH+ being shorted to 120VAC and still work!

Paul C.

This is the email I received when I got the patch,

CASE_ID_NUM: SRX0411096057XXXX

Hello,

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:

-----------------------------------------------------------

KB Article Number(s): 841559

Language: English

Platform: i386

Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows XP/sp2/Fix98545/2600/free/181131_ENU_i386_zip.exe)

Password: anV$Femn

Password Changes On: 11/12/2004

Next Password: s@jn8bwLl

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

Thanks!

NOTE: This link is not active. As the note states, the pass changes every 7 days and if you aren't in that cycle, you must contact them again and get a new password. I'm not sure why they do this.