YD Motor can I start and run as delta

jimpad

For curiosity's sake, if I'm not concerned about inrush current can I simply connect in delta configuration and start across the line?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes you can but there are factors to consider. A motor will draw 6 to 10 times its rated current on startup. If the motor is large that can severly affect the power distribution system.

It would be good to check with the motor manufacturer as well. Some delta windings are not well designed for starting inrushes and would not be good candidates for your configuration. This is more true as the motors get larger and larger.

Jim,

A lot depends on a lot. Will the motor be starting under load? How large is the motor? What's the power supply? Heavy inrush current could make your power supply cables "dance" which could cause chafing of the insulation eventually leading to failure.. Bla Bla Bla..

Gennerally...we use Delta - Across the line starting on smaller motors..(15 HP or less). 20+ Hp gets a soft start (inside delta).

your right on dancing part

your power supply cables "dance" which could cause chafing of the insulation eventually leading to failure.. Bla Bla Bla..
(y)

🤷
We hooked an old Gates American planer it had one 150 hp motor that ran a combination of belts that ran the 4 heads with an across the line starter. The cables jumped plum out of the cable tray when we started it. The owner of the mill was there when this happened he said tye them down. It was his idea! Another time a 600 hp chipper motor burned out and owner wanted to know if a 200 hp motor would run it. I told him if it will start it it will. You may have to cut the long logs into pieces though. The old motor was a wound rotor with resistance start so we changed a few wires and fuses and started this 200 hp motor across the line. It is still running like this that was probably 6 years ago. Now since this has nothing to do with plcs i`m going to o_O . 🤾