PC to slc 500e rs232 communication

cmngigi

C
Hi all,
I have been trying to communicate to an AB slc500e proccessor via the serial port. The main aim is to set up the ethernet port of the SLC.
All I get is a communication error telling me to check my cables . I bought two new cables i.e CP3 and CP10 cables but none worked. I have read the RS links hardware manual and even created my Own cable.
The problem still persists. Last option , I changed my PC/Laptop.....
All software is loaded on the PC. i.e RSlogix500 and RSlinks Proffessional . Please Help.
Thanx
Charles.

Is it a 'used' plc?
The comms port may have been used for ASCII comms previously, thus locking you out.
You can reset the processor by removing the battery then shorting 'GND' to 'VBB' on the pcb.

I think this will reset the RS232 comms to the DF1 that we all know and love.

I didn't think that SLC/500's had ethernet. I though onboard ethernet came out with the 5/05's. When I had to program a 500, L20A and L30something, I had to use a 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx and a PIC device, although I'm not sure about the cable part numbers he gave. I'm new, so more that likely I'm wrong. :)

Josh

Sorry for the poor spelling and grammar...

I _thought_ onboard ethernet came out with the 5/05's.

I'm new, so more _than_ likely I'm wrong.

(Mental note, Preview Reply and proofread first...)
Long day and night, please excuse me...

Josh

Thanx Pals,
for your prompt replies, The SLC is SLC 5/05E not "Slc500" that was a typo error , thanks josh for the correction. This SLC is currently running a small polish making plant and suprisingly communicates with a Panel view HMI moniter very well through this port via a PIC. I cannot access the SLC either thro the PIC or directly on the processor port itself.
The cables i have are the ones that came with the processor.
Kind Regards
Charles.

Ethernet setup without serial comms

If you're trying to setup ethernet comms, and you have the hardware ethernet address (white label on the board), then you should be able to use the bootp program to give it an IP address.

This would probably be worth a try if you've exhausted all serial comms possibilities.

The serial port on the 5/05 can be configured to different protocols. If you have it set up for DH-485, for example, you can't talk DF1 to it. There are also different baud rate, error checking, and other parameter settings that can be modified. That's why Paraffin Power asked if you knew for sure the configuration of the port. Be aware: I'm fairly sure that if you reset the CPU as he suggests (and that is often the only option) you will loose any programming and configuration. The PLC reverts to its virging out of the box configuration.

PS: Are you using a true serial port, or some kind of USB adapter?

Yo, Charles,
This SLC ... communicates with a Panel view HMI moniter very well through this port via a PIC.
If the serial port is communicating through a PIC module - then the protocol has probably (almost certainly) been configured for DH-485. Try setting your RSLinx driver to "1747-PIC / AIC+" even though you're not trying to communciate (for programming purposes) through the PIC. Use the 1747-CP3 cable and cross your fingers.

Good luck.