1746-QS problem

pompanowoes

Only using two axis, and each independant of the other.

Using hydraulic configurator, get movement. Using SLC 500 PLC logic, even though all register/bits look OK, no movement.

A/B wants bucks to help, and wonder what extent they'll go to?

Hope that someone that has used this module will provide what we hope is the one little thing that we are overlooking?

Thanks

Check the Command Log

Did you use the example that came with the QS? There is an example program. Get the example program to work first THEN modify it for your needs.

Check the command log to see if the QS thinks you are sending commands. ^L gets you to the command log.

Can you see the status change in the QS's input registers? If not you may not be accessing the right I/O registers for the QS's slot.

Thats what we decided and tried today. (Should mention that I'm not the guy actually on site. I was there with 1746-QV modules, got them working, but they are too "stair stepping" instead of an actual ramp for the real world application needs.) My co-worker made a little progress when removing all PLC logic and down loading the example. However, not there yet. I copied and emailed your reply along to him a few min.'s ago, as you made the same recommendation that I did before posting last night.

This afternoon I talked to a tech. rep. (at an Alen Bradley dist.) who remembers having a past customer that used the 1746-QS (that company has closed down since and folks gone - hope no omen there!)and he remembers their programmer having a rough experience. He recalled that there was some setting (that was not readily apparent)that was keeping it from working. That's the "magic wand" that I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input.

pompanowoes said:
Thats what we decided and tried today. (Should mention that I'm not the guy actually on site. I was there with 1746-QV modules, got them working, but they are too "stair stepping" instead of an actual ramp for the real world application needs.) My co-worker made a little progress when removing all PLC logic and down loading the example.

What is a little progress? This should take only 5 minutes.

pompanowoes said:
However, not there yet. I copied and emailed your reply along to him a few min.'s ago, as you made the same recommendation that I did before posting last night.

I didn't mention reading the I/O configuration last night. You may also need to fill in the size of the M0 and M1 files.
I know there is a quick start guide that comes with the QS. Did your person in the field read that?

pompanowoes said:
This afternoon I talked to a tech. rep. (at an Alen Bradley dist.) who remembers having a past customer that used the 1746-QS (that company has closed down since and folks gone - hope no omen there!)and he remembers their programmer having a rough experience. He recalled that there was some setting (that was not readily apparent)that was keeping it from working. That's the "magic wand" that I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input.

The 1746-QS has been around for 8 years now. Search the forum and you will find this is the first thread about having a problem with the 1746-QS. Getting the QS to go should be simple. Writing the program will be easier if you follow the state machine example. Tuning the axes will be easy if the hydraulic system is properly designed and it can be impossible it the hydraulic system is not designed well.

I agree with Peter.

I have ued the QS and found it to be leaps and bounds better than the QB. You can get axis movement using the hydraulic configurator software with no logic and then once you know the axis functions, control it from logic. The software makes you wonder how you tuned axis' before the software was available.

Too Late Now

pompanowoes it may be too late now, but I`ll bet your application would have been a lot easier with an RMC 100 from Delta Computer Systems. Next time you do motion control check them out.
it can be impossible it the hydraulic system is not designed well.
You got that right like 8 ft. of hose between the valve and cylinder. :cry:

:site:

Support makes the difference.

Thomas Sullens said:
I`ll bet your application would have been a lot easier with an RMC 100 from Delta Computer Systems.

Tom, the QS is the RMC's little brother. The hydraulic configurator looks just like RMCWIN. In fact we get asked all the time if we copied Rockwells hydraulic configurator. If you know how to use the RMC you know how to use the QS. We have had a couple QS users show up at our RMC training. The QS actually has a better command log than the RMC's. At least I think so. The major difference is not the product. It is the support and 'tribal knowledge'.

So, Tom, consider yourself trained on the QS too!

I wonder if pompanowoes or his buddy in the fieldhave found the on line startup guide yet under help. Most wounds are self inflicted. The question I ask myself is why are they they configuring and programming the QS in the field instead of at the office. There is a simulate bit that allows one to move virtual axes using ladder so the ladder can be tested. If have my SLC5/05 at home now and I just happen to have a 1746-QS installed. I will use the simulate bit to so I can move the axes at home.

It may be

Tom, the QS is the RMC's little brother.
It may be it`s little brother, but before i talked with you`ll and had priced the 1746 QS from AB you would have thought it was it`s big bother. After using the RMC 100 if there were an AB plc already on sight and i had a choice I`d do it all in the RMC.
Just my thoughts. 🤾

:site: