Wonerware Supertag Help

yam785

Lifetime Supporting Member
o_O If there is anyone online that could help me before Saturday at 4PM, I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand Wonderware Supertags and how to use the template to set up supertags. I know this is short notice, and on the holiday weekend, but I need to understand this fairly well by tomorrow, and I don't have access to Wonderware manuals at work. I really need help, and would very much appreciate any I could get.

The supertag is similiar to using structures in C.

In short...you define a template name, let's call it Motor.
Under this template you can add members like Start (discrete), RunningStatus (discrete), and SpeedCommand (Real).

Now from your Tagname Dictionary, you can create a new tag let's called Conveyor1 and assign it to the Motor tagtype instead of the usual discrete, real, etc. What you have just done is is create 3 new tags:
Conveyor1\Start (discrete)
Conveyor1\RunningStatus (discrete)
Conveyor1\SpeedCommand (real)
You access the elements of the supertag by using the "\".

Now you can go on and add Conveyor2, Pump1, etc.
Basically, you are saving yourself a little bit of time creating 1 tag for each device instead of 3. The tagname dictionary should also contain 2/3 less entries...but your total tag count is not.

You can also create them manually if you wish by just typing them in.
Conveyor\Start
Conveyor\Run

Also you can go 2 levels deep, which helps out if you have a lot of variables with an object.

Pump1\Run
Pump1\Running
Pump1\Switch\Hand
Pump1\Switch\Auto
Pump1\Alarm\F2Start
Pump1\Alarm\F2Stop

To create the above Super tag with the Template Maker you do the following –
  • Create the Template for Pump and add Run and Running members.
  • Create the Template for Switch and add the Hand and Auto members.
  • Create the Template for Alarm and add the F2Start and F2Stop members.
  • Go back to the Pump Template and add Switch and Alarm as members.
Each level can only be 10 chars long, since a tag can only be 32 chars long and the backslashes take 2 chars.

You cannot delete members of a Super Tag once the Tag is created. But there is a workaround. If you need to delete a member of a Super Tag, you can do a DBDump and dump all the Tags to an excel file. Go back to the application, delete the Super Tag. Modify the excel file (delete the unwanted member) then do a DBLoad.

When I create Super Tags, I create a generic Super Tag with the common items and then create new tags from the generic Super Tag, I don’t keep using the Template Maker. I manually enter the additional items that are needed.

So if I had a Super Tag of Pump1 and needed to add an alarm for tripped overloads I would create the tag PumpX\Alarm\OL