LM90 with virtual port

ArikBY

HI guys

I have problem related to other thread which discuss many times.
Serial port.
I have new laptop with out serial port.I try to connect this PC to GE micro.(90-30 family)
I installed PCIMCA card and set it to com 4.I set my LM90 to com 4 too.
I cannot establish communication.
I use LM90 9.05 my OS is XP Pro SP2.

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried putting LM90 into Windows 98 compatability mode?

I have had it running OK on XP in this mode through a USB/232 converter.

Arik I have used LM90 and VersaPro on an XP laptop using a pcmcia adapter. With Logicmaster I had to right click .exe file and set it for Win95 mode AND set the memory.

Only problem I had with VersaPro was an address issue which could be your problem now. Steve may be able to offer more details because I have forgotten alot of that stuff. The PLC and the PC will both use an SNP ID (address)...ie 0,1 etc. They can not be the same.

One other possibility. There were two GE Fanuc Micro PLCs before the current offering which is called the VersaMax Micro. There was the Series 90 Micro which can be programmed with Logicmaster, VersaPro, or Proficy ME.

Before that there was the GE Fanuc Micro, which had a different (DOS) software package.

On the Series 90 Micro, the programming port is 15-pin Dsub. On the older GE Fanuc Micro, the programming port is an RJ11 plug.

Also, there are issues with the 5 VDC power for the RS485/RS422 converter. Some of the older versions of the converters may require more power than can be supplied by the port.

This PLC was programed with LM90.

I treid to use another PC with Win98 and it wored fine (V8.03)so my problem come from the PC.
When I treid my leptop with win2K I had a some problem.
I guess that the problem is with the version 9.05
I got the 9.02 but I dont find the installation file.
With the XP I try to run as Win 95 and Win98, it would not work.
When I treid Cimplicity Machine Edition.
I can get communication with the PLC but I cannot upload.
The only thing who work is switching between Run to Stop.
Did I miss something?

The Serial port driver in XP is a whole different thing to previous Windows versions. I'm having a load of problems with LM90. Proficy (Machine Edition) is probably the way to go. But beware - Once you've converted to it you can't see that program running in the PLC using LM90.

Alternative - Go back to NT4!!

Thank for the reply.

I tried to use Machine Edition and it did not worked with Micro 90/30.

What I have found is when I use LM90 9.05 on Win2K it work on 90/30 but not on Micro 90/30.
It look like something is missing for the micro.
Do you know what is missing?

Thanks in advance.

There should be no problem using LM90 with the Micro.
However, when you first fire up LM90, remember to check the current controller setting. You may find 90-30 highlighted at the top of the screen. If so, hit Shift-F1 to change to the micro.

I've been caught like that before!

I have some expirience with LM90 so I know to chose the right controler.

I programmed 90-20 in my past.
In my old PC I had V8.03 with Win98.Now I have one with 2K and one with XP It work with 90-30 but not with Micro.
It just drive me mad.
I tried with Machine Edition and it did not worked.
So the problem must be with the Micro.

The Series 90 Micro is a bit different in the tolerances of voltage levels needed for the port, have you tried a different 232-485 adaptor? Do you have a HHP, does it connect? If you are using the "cheater cable" it does not work with the Series-90 Micro. Proficy ME will work with the Series-90 Micro if you update to the latest version 3.10 firmware, you can download this from gefanuc.com.