Micrologix 1500 Memory module

lllerena

I have run out of memory (data , not ladder) with an LRP processor, so, I think I need the 1764-MM2 module.

Have anyone try that? is the memory only for the data (not for ladder), since there I have to make a lot of ascii question, and I need a lot (about 75) of ST memory.

Thanks in advance,

Luis Llerena A.

I am going to keep this up so one of the more experienced AB guys can clarify my statements.

The memory modules "store" the data and program, it doesnt extend the memory capabilities of the 1500.

From the manual:

The memory module supports program back-up as well as the
following features:
·​
User Program and Data Back-Up

·​
Program Compare

·​
Data File Download Protection

·​
Memory Module Write Protection

·​
Removal/Insertion Under Power

I believe the newer CLX processors allow you to add additonal memory, can't say for sure, never used one.

However, all the mature products, PLC-5, SLC, & MLX do not have this feature. When you purchase and install a memory module, it basically functions as a EEPROM backup of the processor memory. You can configure on what events the memory module data is loaded,but that's it.

If you have consumed all the memory in a ML1500, your only option is to replace it with some thing larger, or split the program across two ML1500's.

You mentioned that you have a lot of ascii questions programed, if you are using an HMI, is it possible to do more of the ascii work in the HMI? Something along the line of having the HMI display a string based upon the value of a varible?
Just a thought.

Ken

Last edited: