Panelview 550 and 1747-PIC

dowd

I am trying to upload to a new Panelview 550 (2711-B5A2) via a 1747-pic module. When browsing with RS linx, I do not see the Panelview 550. I have used this same pic modules to program various SLC 500. This is my first experience using a panelview 550, am I missing a switch or something to load the panel program? Any help would be grateful.

Default settings on the PV uses address 2 for DH485, verify your RSLinx isnt using that address or goto the PV config screen and change it.

You do know that if a PLC isnt connected then you will need a power supply? Chapter 12 of the manual.

Can I power the 550 via an external power supply? And what pins do I apply power too?

The PanelView should be powered thru the line power connector on the bottom of the PanelView. What Ron was talking about was the DH-485 communications power. The DH-485 link power between the PV and the PLC is provided by the PLC. If you are not connected to a SLC CPU, you will need a 1747-AIC or 1761-NET-AIC, powered by a 24 vdc power supply. Either of these devices will provide the neccessary power to the appropriate pins of the PIC. Don't try to "splice" 24 vdc onto your PIC cable.

mgvol is correct....kinda like daisy chain....from the computer/laptop to the processor/cpu then to the panelview...and she magically appears on RSLinx...good luck

Or use a 1747-NP1 power supply, its all in Chapter 12 of the manual. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

compvpic.jpg

OR
compv485.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to plug the 550 into a SLC 500, I still could not see it on RS LInx. I think I might have a bad panelview. I know my pic mod. is good, since I can view the slc in rs linx. I dont know what to do.

If you have the PIC connected to the PV and the PV connected to the PLC try NOT using RSLinx (shut it down) and just download from PB. Make sure comm is setup for DH485 and addressing doesnt conflict.

Verify node address doesnt conflict, the PV by default uses node 2. That could also be the problem with RSLinx.

I am saying this because of something that happened 4 or 5 years ago. I may be mistaken because I dont remember what model PV was used.

Anyway I had a problem connecting and I believe I was using the PIC too. I closed RSLinx and just let it work thru Panelbuilder. In Panelbuilder if you click on Application settings the Communications Setup>Comms setup it should be set to DH485 Node 2 Max 31 baud 19200...leave as is.

Verify that the program first, then download...a window will popup with comm driver selection. DF1 point to point may be the only option...try it anyway if PIC or DH485 isnt there. I am pretty sure thats how I got it too load.

Once I had the program in the PV then it appeared on the DH485 network.

NOTE: The PIC driver in RSLinx will dominate/capture the com port so it can not be running...if you HAD it running you may have to reboot the PC to release the com port.

Last edited: