Simatic HMI & VB-application on TP270

Machinery

Hi, I can't find a solution for the following problem.
Is it possible to run my own visual basic application on a simatic touch panel, such as TP270. I know it's a windowsCE panel, but don't know if it runs my own application.
Or do I need another simatic TP-panel to run it.
Thanks

Assuming Siemens have not done anything funky with the Windows CE portion of the display, and it truly is a Windows CE system, you should be able to run whatever you want on a TP display.

I once worked with an Allen-Bradley RSView system that used a Windows CE display from AB. That project had a stupid little mouse cursor displayed on a touch screen, so I wrote a C++ program to mode the mouse to the edge of the screen to "hide" it.

There is a catch; you'll have to use Microsoft Embedded Tools which can be obtained from http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/downloads/. You'll have to locate the version of Windows CE that Siemens are using, and then develop for that system. I last used Microsoft’s eMbeddeb Visual Tools 3.0 as I doubt any industrial screen will use the latest Windows CE version. You can find the Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f663bf48-31ee-4cbe-aac5-0affd5fb27dd&displaylang=en

I doubt you'll be able to use the .NET stuff, but I've not tried, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
No, you cannot run "Visual Basic" on a TP (or OP for that matter). But you can run "Visual Basic Script", which is sort of a very cut-down version of Visual Basic.

edit:
The OPs and TPs are "locked" versions of Windows CE.
The MPs are "open" versions. You should be able to load additional software on those.

edit again:
HEY ! That was post # 2000. Yesss... :D ..... 🍺

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
HEY ! That was post # 2000. Yesss... :D ..... 🍺

Congratulations Jesper, and welcome to the club! Your complimentary gift basket should be arriving shortly. Phil will also enable your 'special forum features' menu. Keep an eye out for it (and let me know if you find it, 'cause I have yet to locate mine)... ;)

🍻

-Eric

Thanks for your answers guys. I've decided to use a panelPC from siemens (IL77 12").

But the MPs are "open" versions, what do you mean Jesper Møller Pedersen?
Is it possible to use my vb-application (vb6) or do I have to rewrite it into .NET?
Machinery

Machinery said:
But the MPs are "open" versions, what do you mean Jesper Møller Pedersen?
It means that additional software written for the type of CPU used on the MP panels and the OS (Windows CE 3.0) can be loaded onto the panels and it should be possible to run it. Not so trivial as it sounds because the CE on the panels is loaded with the bare minimum for getting them to run. You may have to load additional .dll's that your software requires (I have been told).

Machinery said:
Is it possible to use my vb-application (vb6) or do I have to rewrite it into .NET?
Machinery
Both VB and CE are Microsoft offerings. There ought to be a possibility. But my guess is that it must be a "special" version of VB (VB embedded ? VB CE ? or ...? ). I am not an expert in VB so my knowledge ends there.

As you have selected a PC, then it is really irrellevant to you.

One last opinion:
I wouldnt build my future on CE and VB.
Nobody knows when the big players (Siemens, AB, ..) decides to switch from the old platforms with CE, VB, VBA, ActiveX, etc. to the new platform with XP embedded, .NET, etc.

Actually, during a telephone interview with Siemens, in Feb 2005, one of the engineers accidentally mentioned that Siemens where going to switch to using Linux or some sort of embedded Linux as opposed to the Windows CE or XP Embedded.