Dos App. Screen print...

elevmike

Ok so I'm still having trouble doing screen prints from ANY Dos application. So I do a google and look at the results....(y)

GoogleSearch.JPG

Seems the folks a Google thinks you guys are the experts.....

So this is the deal: Win XP. I cant get a screen print from ANY Dos application, only Windows applications. However on my Win 98SE laptop I can copy the screen to the clipboard, just not on my XP Desktop... Any Ideas???

BTW I've already checked the application Properties>Misc tab all settings are indeed correct.

Thanks...

Ummm... This may be a little off base... But I just wanted to hit something obvious first.... What type of keyboard are you using? Does it have any other functions associated with that key? You may want to try plugging in the oldest, grungiest, plainest keyboard around into your computer, and trying it that way...

Tom,

Actually I've tried that. the current keyboard is from my OLDddd Tandy..very basic. I've been fighting this since I've installed XP. I have an old version of Turbo Cad that I really dont want to redo all the drawings...That'll take years.. So I still use it from time to time, But the option of getting screen shots from ANY dos program seems to have evaporated with Win XP... (and I thought I was upgrading) I'm looking into some third party sofware that might do this for me...We'll see..

Thanks for the reply... Mike

Mike, this might be a slightly different approach to the end result. I use a shareware program called ScreenHunter that allows you to take snapshots of either the whole screen, the active window, or a rectangular area. It then stores the image in a jpeg, bmp, other image file. You can then open up the saved image in any of the image programs and edit (crop, turn to black/white, scale, etc.) it. You can then print the program from that utility. Its a round about way but I hope it helps.

BTW, I use this for documenting HMI screens in operator's manuals.

Mike,

I an a little confused. Have you tried running the DOS app in a window? I just opened a command prompt window in XP and had no problem capturing the window and pasting it into Paint. I use CTRL-ALT -PrtScrn. Maybe I am missing something...

Bob

From some of the stuf I dug out of the link that mike posted, (and a few others i dug up), text is supposed to come thru just fine, but not pictures???? I really need to play around with this tomorrow on my xp desktop.....

I downloaded Screen Hunter and a few others.. The issue remains..This is a DOS graphics..Turbocad 1.90..I know...but I need these drawings. Anyway I cant capture a screen to the clipboard, and Bob..It wont run in a window..only full screen.

Like Tom said..just text..not graphics.

I'm thinking of setting up a seperate partition w/win 98SE. I have a few other PCs on the network that are Win98SE and it seems to work fine.

Go Figure..

Thanks for all the replys..

Jay Anthony said:
Man, it's gotta' run in a window for you to use a screen capture.
Jay's right... :nodi:

Mike, you should be able to run it in a window. Right click on the executable and select "Properties". From there you should be able to choose to run it in a window.

propertiesxp.jpg

🍻

-Eric

This is too much..

Ok unlike Lotus, the graphics will not display in a window..therefor no screen shot from a window..The Dos gaphics will only display in "full screen" mode. If I try to open it in a window..All I get is a blank window. I'm really bummed, because if I need a screen shot from this, I've got to go to another confuser running Win98 to do it..In the Win98 enviroment I just hit "print screen" and toggle back to the windows envirment, open Paint and paste it there, then save as a jpg or whatever.. But OHHH NOOO not in XP....Thanks Bill...

Last year sometime, someone(thank you whoever you were) posted a link to this virtual pc program... I picked up a copy, and it works excellently with everything I've tried... I use it for the old kollmorgen bds motion link software, the dl40 software, the dtam micro, and the indramat software. It lets you run software in a totally self contained window, complete with it's own ram.... It might be worth picking up and playing with.

Thanks Tom,

I'm gonna download the "trial" version and give this a shot. I'll let y'all know how it turns out...

Off to bed..Thanks again.

Mike,

This may have been answered before but why don't you upgrade to the most current version of TurboCad? I just checked and TurboCad 11 goes for $129. I would think that this would wind up saving time and aggravation in the long run. You could continue using the DOS version while taking advantage of what the Windows version has to offer.

I also know this guy who lives near Chicago who would have no problem buying TurboCad if it meant some side work converting or updating drawings. (hint, hint, wink, wink)

Bob

I was wondering, what format does the old DOS Turbocad use to save the files? There are many free cad viewer programs that will open dwg, dwf, and dxf files. Here is a free viewer: http://www.download.com/Free-DWG-Viewer/3000-6677_4-10312070.html?tag=lst-0-5

The viewer will allow you to copy and paste into graphic programs if that is what you want to do. It will also print, it just will not allow you to edit.