PLC to PLC communication

Ricco

I was just wondering what the best way to communicate between PLC's was. I am currently doing a project where i have to communicate two PLC's via a wireless 'RS232' link. I'm using Ge Fanuc PLC's and was wondering what I would need in terms of a comms module? There is currently only the one RS232 port which is used for loading the logic into the PLC.

There are many different ways, depending on the brand of PLC.
I don't know about GE, but I have set up communications on Modicons and Siemens.
Two types of communications are:
1, peer to peer
2, Master Slave.

Modicon uses Modbus Plus for peer to peer, which is an RS 485 network running at 1Mbps. It can also use Modbus Plus for master slave communications.
Siemens uses MPI for peer to peer, and profibus for master slave.

Both can also use ethernet for either peer to peer or master slave, however I am yet to set up ehternet for this purpose, so I don't know all the ins and outs of this.

most other brands have something similar.

Doug

I think the biggest problem you mentioned is "wireless"..some people swear by it but i think most say it is an expensive way to go..(The off the shelf hardware isnt that good for dependable comunications)...I could be wrong but that's the general take of what i see..