Sending Email via PLC

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

I am attempting to modify an existing Mitsubishi PLC system to send emails when specific events happen. What I am looking for right now is whether or not emails can be sent directly using the PLC/Ethernet card I have.

My system has a Q06HCPU CPU which uses an AJ71E71N-T ethernet module. Now, while the CPU certainly allows me to program in up to 16 email addresses and then configure all the seemingly appropriate settings, the manual for the ethernet module does not seem to indicate that emailing is an option.

Has anyone out there set up a system with an AJ71E71N-T to send emails? And if so, could you point me to the appropriate documentation?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Not in direct answer to your needs, but our systems that require email capability report back to a PC that does the grunt work.

I'm not saying what you ask isn't possible, but why burden the PLC with such housekeeping? You can pick up a decent PC for under $500 nowadays.

Really, just two reasons. First, an additional PC just introduces another piece of equipment that needs to be maintained and, second, the $500. Why spend it if you don't have to?

Steve

Steve Etter said:
My system has a Q06HCPU CPU which uses an AJ71E71N-T ethernet module. Now, while the CPU certainly allows me to program in up to 16 email addresses and then configure all the seemingly appropriate settings, the manual for the ethernet module does not seem to indicate that emailing is an option.

Has anyone out there set up a system with an AJ71E71N-T to send emails? And if so, could you point me to the appropriate documentation?

Forgive, perhaps I missunderstood you, but it is possible to send email with Qn-series cards. Perhaps with AJ-series cards as well.

Emailing using QJ71E71 is simple, but no experience with AJ71E71.
QJ-manual:
http://www.mitsubishi-automation.de/produkt/handbuch/pdf_download/130028.pdf

Tmu

It appears you understand me. I too am aware that the Qn-series card handles the email feature but, unfortunately, I really do have the AJ series card (as called for by the Q06 hardware manual).

Like you, I have no experience with the AJ71E71 and I am hoping it will work.

Steve

Ok. Got some resolution from Mitsubishi for all those who, like me, are losing sleep over this...

The AJ71E71 does not support email. The QJ series does and is compatable with the Q06H processor.

If I understand correctly what they told me, there was a transition time when the AJ series was used with the Q06H. Now we have the QJ series. Unfortunately, the documentation on Mitsubishi's website still shows the AJ as the series to use. Go figure.

Steve