5/04 Basic module & procomm plus

sparky64

Does anyone know if it is possible to upload the program from a basic module using procomm, and if so, how do i do it.
I can use all the other commands, but can't upload??

Cheers
Sparky

I assume your speaking of a 1746-BAS Basic module in a rack with a SLC 5/04 and that the basic module is running a program programmed into it.

Yes, as long as the code was written originally in Basic and not compiled (I have a Cross C Compiler with library for BAS module).

It will involve you to power down the rack so that you can remove the module and change some jumper settings so that the module powers up in the command line mode.

Look at the following pic. You'll be concerned with JW3 & JW4 switches to get the module in and out of RUN mode.

mi_ata_004.jpg

You should then be able to power up the rack and with your PC connected to port 1 and see a command line prompt. The port settings will be 1200,n,8,1.

With ProComm in capture mode, type "LIST" and the code should start to print out. Now, if the code IS not basic and was compiled, you won't get a listing at all.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
HI Jstolaruk

Thanks for the reply.
I can already use the list command, no problems.

We use to use Pbase on an old laptop running windows 95, and Pbase has an upload function, apart from the list command, I was just wondering if Procomm had the same function.

Cheers
Sparky

sparky64 said:
HI Jstolaruk

Thanks for the reply.
I can already use the list command, no problems.

We use to use Pbase on an old laptop running windows 95, and Pbase has an upload function, apart from the list command, I was just wondering if Procomm had the same function.

Cheers
Sparky

No, Pbase is specifically meant for the BAS module. There are a couple of undocumented calls it uses, call 100 and call 101, to download/upload code or data into EEPROM and/or RAM and I'm sure a few more. But I've found you can accomplish the same things with any terminal program.

I've always used Hyperterminal on my laptop. Never had any problems with upload the files. The only thing I remember is that it has to be done at 1200 baud (I think, I will have to find my cheat sheet on this).

If its a big download, I'll use the BAS's MODE command to up the baud rate and enable software (XON-OFF) handshaking, then do the same on HyperTerminal and now the transfer is a lot quicker.

We use 1200 baud to download the programs, when we use 9600 baud, some of the program doesn't get down loaded?, figure it must be too fast or something.

Cheers for the help

Sparky

sparky64 said:
We use 1200 baud to download the programs, when we use 9600 baud, some of the program doesn't get down loaded?, figure it must be too fast or something.

Cheers for the help

Sparky

The key is to have both sides using s/w handshaking. I use 19200 and have no problems with HyperTerminal.