Unitronics Vision 280

L.GL

I'm intrested to know the price of the product mentioned in the title. Your feeling about the product if you use or used it.

Thanks in advance

About a year or so ago, I had the opportunity to purchase and then develop an application with the Vision 280.

I was quite impressed.

I have programmed many PLC's of various types including AB, Siemens, GE Fanuc, Mitsubishi, and Square D. I have also spent a lot of time programming different HMI's including AB, Eaton, Mitsubishi, and TCP.

I found that the Unitronics was one of the easiest PLC languages I have ever learned, the capabilities are quite impressive, and that several "rules" that other PLC languages have are not imposed by Unitronics.

And the programming software is free. You can (or at least you could when I worked with it) download the latest release it from their website at any time.

The HMI gives you both a touchscreen and tactile buttons that can be used simultaneously. Switching from screen to screen is very quick.

Probably some of the most impressive things to me were that you have on-board analog inputs and can program two of the digital inputs to be high-speed inputs (I think its two of them, anyway).

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to install the unit in the field before changing companies, so I can't really speak to how the unit will stand up in the industrial environment.

I found the company was very responsive to questions and very knowledgable about their product.

Finally, if the company I work for now wasn't so thoroughly locked in to Mitsubishi PLCs, I would push to get a few in here.

Steve

PS. I have no affiliation with Unitronics in any way, shape, or form. And for price, I remember it was very good but I have no idea what it would be now.

I am famous (infamous?) as a rabid fan of Unitronics products, and I use them exclusively in my machine builds.

Yep, the software is still free, and it has more capabilities than ever.A base Vision 280 runs around $600, with all the features Steve described. $110 adds modbus-based ethernet. Serial modbus is included free, as is a "protocol" function block that can enable serial communications with practically anything capable of serial comms. Canbus is included, but it's a proprietary version meant for use with other Unitronics controls. Throw on some snapIO and/or expansion IO, and you're ready to party for well under $1000.

The integration of touchcells to ladder is seamless - no more lists of PLC addresses you constantly refer to while programming an HMI on a completely separate software package.

A few other tidbits you might like to know:

One of the greatest strengths of this product is the communications features. You can have modbus ethernet to your SCADA software, modbus serial on RS485 to Uni's M91 controllers as remote IO or distributed control, Canbus to other Uni controllers, and be monitoring it all online with your laptop - all at once.

Unitronics modbus TCP is compatible with Matrikon OPC Modbus software. However, Unitronics just released an ethernet OPC server of it's own for download at the web site - free.

With a little effort, you can program an M91 to serve as remote IO. Or you can set the M91 up to run a section of the machine completely on it's own, and just report status back to the V280.

There's a new tier in the Vision platform, the 290 - bigger touchscreen, no buttons. Personally, I like the keypad of the 280.

If you'd like to look at some examples, I've got a few posted in the downloads section. Just some comms stuff that could save you some time.

Unitronics manufacturer PLCs more then 10 years.
When they were small company it was pleasure to go there for support and(good friend of mine used to work there)and if you need somthing spicel they just developed it for you.
Unitronics have impresive rang of cardes for any purpose.
The price is decent.
I can agree with any word of Steve.
Redarding the quality of the product in industrial enviromnent there is no problem with that.
I personaly dont like PLCs without OnLine Edits that one of the lack of Unitronics.
Before few weeks I pruchased Vision 280 that the price over here.
If you like the price I think you can get it here.
Attached pic of my price in US $ (our local currency)
On this price I have additional 15% except EX-A1.

Enjoy

ArikBY said:
Attached pic of my price in US $ (our local currency)

Arik, do you use USD or ILS, over there? Dosnt Israel use a shekel? about 4 or 5 to the dollar?

I know there are some contries that dont print currency and use the good ol' US greenback as their standard currency, but I didnt think Israel was one of them.. Maybe I missunderstood that??

Mike

It was joke.
Daily we use Shekel. 4.4 for 1USD .
For business we use USD or Euro.
Our currency called NIS New Israeli Shekel.

Did you got my mail with my US phone number?
L.GL Send me e-mail with the price you need I will get you quate.

Arik,

I was just wondering about the price..not really ready to jump into something new..too busy for that.

The only phone No. I have seems to be an international number. it's not in typical US format (1-xxx-xxx-xxxx), so I dont know.

Mike

In many cases Unitronics is better then DL-06 and EZ-Text.
Vision 280 is more like 205 with 5' touch screen.
I use Hakko touch screen with DL06 and expand my I/O with another DL06 with modbus.Then I get neer to there price.
If you need special card like load cells,PT1000,They have it.

Costing

Hi Mike,

Keeping it general, the closest PLC Automation Direct offers compared to a Vision 280 w/ E1B snap-IO is the D0-06DD1 for $199. Similar IO and comms capabilities (didn't notice if the AD comes with ethernet or not. Unitronics add $110.)

The EZText panel can't compare, since the V280 has a 4" graphical touchscreen with bitmap capabilities and any object on the screen can be assigned as a touch cell. That said, the closest AD offering seems to be the EZ-S6M-R for $425. So hardware-wise, they run about even at this level.

But check this out (this one even suprised me)

HMI software:
EZTouchEdit $140
Unitronics - free.

PLC software:
AD: $425
Unitronics - free.
(I know you can get the DL06 version standalone for $150, but Visilogic does ALL vision series controllers, so apples-to-apples)

Cables:
EZtouch: $20
PLC: $30
Unitronics - included with controller at no additional charge.

Definitiely check them out. Hardware is comparable, and they clobber AD on software. Personally, I think AD software is lousy anyhow (purely my opinion), so download the Uni stuff and assess it. Hey, it's free - what can you lose?

TM

Good equipment in versatility.

Already I received comments that the equipment does not tolerate EMI, that is sensíble. Being compact equipment, SMD are more sensible the variations.
Never apply in demanding environments, some entrance?

I think Unitronics is the most popular PLC in Israel.
(Made in Israel of course)
I am not big fan of them.They went long way, the product improved and the market share is growing rapidly.
They invent the concept of PLC with HMI.It look like as successful idea.

When they will have On Line Edits I will consider Unitronics as my first option.