PseudoCode For Bead Sorter

Calvary8561

I am currently in a PLC class and need to write pseudocode order of operation for my bead sorter Lab. The Bead sorter has a vaccum in the main hopper that circulates the beads and is driven by cylinders. There are 3 colors that need to be sorted blue,red, yellow each color station has a proximity sensor to sort each color. How do I write the pseudocode for this project. Thank you for any suggestions

In English. Example:

1. Turn Power On To Machine.

2. Press 'CYCLE START'

3. .....

4. .......

5. Press E-Stop to disable machine

6. Disconnect Power To Machine.

Now everyone can read it.

Just curious...

How does a vacuum keep the beads circulating?

And more curiouser...

How does a proximity sensor know the difference between any colors?

Psuedo-Code is nothing more than a general description of how something is supposed to work. Build it like you would an outline for a writing assignment.

As you add more details, it begins to approach real code.

Calvary8561,

It could be a pulsating vaccum that keeps the beads agitated, but more than likely you have some photodetectors that are looking at the different colors.

As for how to start, you must figure out what causes the action, or what your PLC Outputs will be. In other words, once the sensors detect a bead of a certain color, what action must be taken to separate it from the others? Do these "cylinders" that you mentioned push a bead out of the chamber once a certain color is detedted, or is there a solenoid-operated gate or valve of some type? As most students do, you are trying to start with the wrong end of the program, and as usual, are having trouble seeing the forest because you keep looking at those trees (bead sensors) and can't imagine what to do with them. Forget the sensors for now and think about WHAT causes the beads to be separated.

Once you figure out what causes the RESULTS, then put a rung in your program for that, even if you leave the left side blank. It will be a place to start and a way to "organize" your program. Add any other auxiliary Outputs needed (counter, timers, and so on). Then all you have to do is figure out what inputs, either external or internal to the PLC, are needed to control the outputs. Now when you get an idea of how the program will work, then you can write the pseudo-code very precisely.

Last edited: