Terminal program

Rod

DUH! I need a simple dumb terminal program to shuffle files to/from machine and a laptop. The most basic thing out there - free would be great!

I could write one in Qbasic if I had Qbasic, but I dont' want to reinvent the wheel (files/directories) that kinda thing.

Just set the baudrate, handshaking, ETC, OH! and EIA/ISO conversion would be nice.

I forgot to offload from my old laptop before I gave it away - DOOH!

Thanks,

Rod (The CNC Dude)

I still use the Windows 3.1 Terminal program for quick/cheap/dirty applications. Easier to set up than HyperTerminal, works under 98/ME/XP, and no learning curve.

Of course, Hyperterminal should have come with your Operating System and works OK too, but it has more bells and whistles and consequently more setup time for each link.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Yes Windows 3.1 terminal is exactly what I need! Will it run under the 32 bit Window OS? I be iggorant here!

I looked at Hyperterminal but it seems to want a modem. Will it do simple null modem? Sorry, I work mainly with Macs (HATE WINDOZE!!)

I just need to string an RS232 cable between the machine and the laptop to push/pull programs to/from machine and laptop.

It's a Fanuc 0P control in this case, any other control with a tape reader/puncher would work the same.

Really simple, but alas, I've lost the tool!!

Thanks,

Rod (The CNC Dude)

Last edited:
Rod said:
I looked at Hyperterminal but it seems to want a modem. Will it do simple null modem?

In the "Connect using" menu dropdown, you should be able to select a COM port for direct connection.

🍻

-Eric

Hyperterminal definitely works without a modem. I used it for years up and downloading from drives, etc.

Something easier to set up than hyperterminal?! I used the old terminal program, but not recently. I don't remember either one of them being particularly hard to use.

A Free Terminal Program

A easy to use terminal program is the Serial 97 Utility from Vorne. It can be downloaded for free from here.

Elake,

I feel sorry for you. Your Education and life experience shows that you are LACKING!! Open your eyes!!!

The Mac brought us:

The mouse!
The Window operating system!
Firewire!
Incorporation of SunMicro Systems Java!
AND on AND on - I'd say (ETC), but YOU probably would not understand!!!

OH and Steve Wozniak created the 'DOS' driver that allowed us mere mortals to use the new fangled 5.25 floppy disk

SHOW ME WHAT ORIGINAL IDEAS BILL GATES III HAS BROUGHT TO THE PLATE!!!!!!!

Rod (The REALLY TICKED OF CNC Dude)

There ought to be a law against stupidity - then again, I couldn't afford my tickets!

The Window operating system!

I dont usually get into the MAC vs PC vice versa debate. I can state that Windows was Bill Gates thing and that neither created the first GUI. PARC created the Alto which was the first GUI based computer (the size of a desk) and both used the idea to create their own GUI. My favorite GUI was dos based, it was named Xtree Gold.

The mouse was actually invented in the 60's and marketed by Xerox in the 70's.

Apple did originally develop the technology based on the IEEE 1394 standard, they named it firewire.

IBM introduced the floppy drive in the 70's.

Actually Sun developed and used Java first, technically Sun has battled alot of companies on the use/modification of their java technology.

I dont know that Jobs or Gates either one actually brought anything new into the market, they were both good at creating a market "share".

A computer is a computer is a computer, its just a device or tool.

Ron,

I have yet to be convinced that the later versions of WinDoze are stable enough to maintain real-time stuff. I have a Honeywell system that requires Win 3.11 with a very particular OLD 3-COM network card, and an old EISA, high resolution (1028 x ? ) video card, to access the PLC. Without that particular combination of hardware the PLC is absolutely inaccessible! The remote operator stations must use later versions (95, 98, SE, NT, etc) to accomodate Ethernet. The network is crashing all of the time.

I'm in Honeywell HELL!

Now, with regards to...

"I can state that Windows was Bill Gates thing and that neither created the first GUI. PARC created the Alto which was the first GUI based computer (the size of a desk) and both used the idea to create their own GUI. My favorite GUI was dos based, it was named Xtree Gold.

The mouse was actually invented in the 60's and marketed by Xerox in the 70's.

Apple did originally develop the technology based on the IEEE 1394 standard, they named it firewire.

IBM introduced the floppy drive in the 70's.

Actually Sun developed and used Java first, technically Sun has battled alot of companies on the use/modification of their java technology.

I dont know that Jobs or Gates either one actually brought anything new into the market, they were both good at creating a market "share". "

First, I gotta say, X-Tree Gold is nothing but "GOLD"! (That was supposed to be dark gold but it is what it is.)
I use it all the time. I still have it running on my process PCs (DOS-based).

Now, on to the rest...

Only the name "Windows" was a billy thing... but then again, maybe not.

The "Window-CONCEPT" and the "Mouse" was developed by Xerox at PARC.

Stevie Wonder (Jobs) grabbed both (stole it) from Xerox (PARC) for Apple. And then Billy grabbed both (stole it) from Apple for MicroSoft.

And then, billy and his boys decided to call it "WINDOWS", or "WinDOZE" as some are inclined to call it.

With respect to...
"The mouse was actually invented in the 60's and marketed by Xerox in the 70's.

I can only say... not hardly... what would be the impetus... there was no PC Video, let alone PC, at the time. Maketed in the 60's... for what? (ahhh... but then, with a little after thought... there was that "PONG" thing, But still, maketed for what?).

I can't argue about Fire-Wire and the Floppy-disk.

I totally agree that SUN developed "JAVA"... I have many friends from my old FPS days that were involved with the development of "JAVA". And I followed the legal battles that ensued. I was outraged to hear, at the time, that billy-boy was gaining sway... until he lost that sway.

BTW. Billy and his boys didn't even develop DOS... he "stole" it from a technician in Seattle, that was into the Altair-PC (SP?) from that Radio Magazine at the time (a long time ago, or was it an Electronics Magazine?) , for a song,,, a one time price. Damn, that guy could be very rich by now... if not dead.

ok ok ok...
I can understand using a mac for visual editing & for uploading stuff to your IPOD - but for a powerful PC user they just dont have the support!
I've used Linux (redhat, debian & mandrake) they were a fun experience. Maybe its like peoples most favorite PLC...I like Allen Bradley because thats all I've used and its a little tricky to find the learning curve on the other software packages..I'm also partial to EZ-Touch HMIs for the same reason - I have not learned the other software packages.
I am however perfectly content with my unstable pos operating system known as Windows..which by the way, has been running for the last 6 months STRAIGHT without a reboot.

Wait..I did know how to use an Apple II GS when I was in 1st grade....Oregon Trail was a fun game!!

Thank you,
The Serial 97 terminal appears to be exactly what I/we needed.
Again you guys are great!!

I will be on-site Saturday morning to play.

I've run it on my pitiful Mac laptop under VirtualPC under Win98me and appears to be the solution.

All I want is for my customer to be happy and not to be my CUSStoME.

Rod (The CNC Dude)

And DON"T start me about Mac-vs-Windoze - although I enjoy reading what you guys say about it. I mean back in 1979, when I was just starting to play with the Zilog 80, or was it the....