Ge Fanuc 90-30 PLC & PCM Module ASCII Data Application

Drewie

D
Dear all,

I’m working on an application using a 90-30 series PLC (CPU350) and a PCM 301. I have a desktop PC that will send the PCM module an ASCII string and I need to convert this into useable data in the PLC. I have the LogicMaster PLC software but I don’t have any software as yet for the PCM module. Can anyone give any advice on the different ways that this can be achieved and what software, if any, is required for the PCM module?

Please give as much information as you can, no matter how trivial, as any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Drewie.

The PCM is the BASIC language module for the 90-30. You will need GE Fanuc's TERMF software to program it. If you're a real masochist, you can get their PCOP package instead.

The MegaBASIC programming language manual and other manuals associated with the PCM module are available for download at the GE Fanuc website.

If you're already familiar with BASIC interpreters like QBASIC, the learning curve for MegaBASIC won't be too bad. There are annoying differences in syntax and in how different delimiters are interpreted.

You probably won't need any ladder logic to interface with the PCM, but the BASIC program in the PCM will need to include a SYSLINK and a SYSWRITE instruction to pass data to the PLC. SYSLINK links a BASIC program variable to an address in the PLC. SYSWRITE writes the variable's value to that address.

Thanks Steve for your help and I’m sorry for not replying sooner!
I've been busy searching the GE Fanuc web site and reading up on the info that I require in regards to the PCM side of things (initially that’s all I wish to concentrate on). Also it looks as though my client has a copy of PCOP software that I can use, and some sample code from a similar application – so hopefully it won’t be too much of a learning curve.

My plan over the next few days is to hack around with this code to get it ready for on site commissioning with the PLC early next week. The sample code that I have includes the SYSLINK instruction just like you mentioned.

If it’s OK with you I may need some more advice over the next few days?

In the meantime thanks again for your help, which I really appreciate.

Drewie.