...for the AB/Rockwell gurus

stasis

I'm using a 1747-UIC for communication.
This past weekend, we (the plant) upgraded one part of our corrugator. The machine controls use a Micrologix 1200 w/ expansions. Today, while the contractor's rep was there, we tried to log onto the plc with two different laptops & no-go. Using his there was, of course, no issues. Using mine, nothing. RSLinx doesn't see the processor. Checked driver & settings...even auto configed the driver settings & in the menu bar for types, it shows the correct info there. Still nothing in the Linx tree.
Then we tried the other laptop. It's set-up uses an AB PCMCIA (485,DH+,RIO) and both systems use WinXP Pro (Ser Pk2). The same, Linx doesn't see the processor in the tree. I even double-checked the Client Apps settings as well (tripped up on that before!).
So, any ideas?

You didnt mention what driver you were using with those laptops, by default a 1200 uses DF1 at 19200K Parity:none Stop bits:1 no handshaking Addrees: 1

On some models there is a toggle switch under the cover door that will allow you to switch between default and user configured. All the info is in Chapter 4 and Appendix E of the manual.

using the UIC for about three weeks now...no problems getting on other Micrologox/SLC controllers, just this one. Using driver AB_DF1-1,DH485 (default for the UIC)for my machine. Don't have the other laptop, but I believe it's using AB_KT1 addressed to the pcmcia.Used this laptop & set-up to communicate with all AB's in the plant before getting this laptop .
Like stated before, I can see the plc info in the device menu after using auto-config in the Configure drivers heading, just not in RSLinx. Also, I double-checked the setting on the UIC (made sure it was set for RS232). Then took the laptop to another machine & linked with the plc there.

The KT driver definitely would not connect. I think the cable for DF1 needs to be PM02 or equvalent. The node address on the PC and PLC can not match either.

May want to make sure the DCOM led is on if not look at this
ml1200commpb.jpg

Last edited:
stasis said:
using the UIC for about three weeks now...no problems getting on other Micrologox/SLC controllers, just this one. Using driver AB_DF1-1,DH485 (default for the UIC)for my machine. Don't have the other laptop, but I believe it's using AB_KT1 addressed to the pcmcia.Used this laptop & set-up to communicate with all AB's in the plant before getting this laptop .
Like stated before, I can see the plc info in the device menu after using auto-config in the Configure drivers heading, just not in RSLinx. Also, I double-checked the setting on the UIC (made sure it was set for RS232). Then took the laptop to another machine & linked with the plc there.

The UIC uses the RS232 DF1 driver and the device setting is the 1770-KF3/1747-KE. The COM port setting is whatever Windows assigned to it so you'll have to look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manage>Ports (COM & LPT) to know.

I've tied using the UIC in many notebooks, all working like a charm!

Make sure the drivers for the 1747-UIC is installed, then check the comm port that uses the UIC under Device Manager/Ports.

On the RSLinx choose RS232 DF-1 Devices.
Select the correct comm port.
Select 1770-KF3/1747-KE.
Baud rate = 19200
Error Checking = CRC.
No need Auto Configure.

For more details pls refer to the link given & download the drivers/user manual, refer to page 12. The drivers are also included for you.

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/pccards/

Hope it helps. :)

thanks guys, but I've checked all relevant settings for the driver, etc. I did get communication by using a Belkin serial adapter & setting up the DF1 driver through Com port 1, even though it's on the same physical USB terminal on the laptop. The UIC is set for Com port 2 This gives an error in Linx for both DF drivers "Port Conflict"...but as long as I stop one or the other, no problems. Just not sure why I couldn't communicate using the UIC.

I've had similar problems with our 1200 micrologics I ended up connecting via a standard serial to USB adaptor and the 1747-pmo2 cable. The UIC only works on the RS 485 standards the Comm on the Micrologics is RS 232

I can connect with other ML controllers using the UIC, just flip the switch to RS232. This is the first that I couldn't get comms with...maybe it's the controller? I did have to go with the serial/USB converter to communicate, though...

stasis said:
thanks guys, but I've checked all relevant settings for the driver, etc. I did get communication by using a Belkin serial adapter & setting up the DF1 driver through Com port 1, even though it's on the same physical USB terminal on the laptop. The UIC is set for Com port 2 This gives an error in Linx for both DF drivers "Port Conflict"...but as long as I stop one or the other, no problems. Just not sure why I couldn't communicate using the UIC.

To address the port conflict problem, use the Device Manager and force the com port to something like com6 or higher. Check the latency timer too and set it to 1.

I think, stasis, that you have a simple confusion between DH485 and DF1 protocols.

The MicroLogix 1000, 1200, and 1500 controllers all have RS-232 serial ports. This is just the Electrical specification the port uses; they can be set for several different Protocols.

The 1747-UIC, although it has both RS-485 and RS-232 electrical connectors on it, ONLY communicates to controllers using DH485 protocol.

Let that sink in for a moment.

The MicroLogix 1000, 1200, and 1500 controllers by default use DF1 Full Duplex protocol. Because you can connect to your corrugator upgrade MicroLogix 1200 controller with an off-the-shelf USB/RS232 converter and the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver, this indicates conclusively that that controller is still set for DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

The MicroLogix 1000 can "auto-sense" between DF1 and DH485 protocols, but the MicroLogix 1200 and 1500 have to be configured in RSLogix 500 to use DH485 protocol. Because you can connect to other MicroLogix controllers using the 1747-UIC, that indicates conclusively that those controllers are configured for DH485 protocol.

If you change this new MicroLogix 1200 controller from DF1 Full Duplex to DH485 protocol in RSLogix 500, you will be able to use the 1747-UIC with it. If not, you will need to continue to use the ordinary RS-232/USB converter.

In both cases you will use the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx, but you will need to select different Device types (1747-KE/KF3 versus SLC/MicroLogix) when you use the 1747-UIC versus the Belkin adapter.

thanks for the info, Ken. Seems that the controller wasn't set for 485, and since it's still in the hands of the Install guys, I'll wait until they leave to change it.

Once again, thanks for all the input.