Supporting Member
Hi Folks,

If i going to communicated the Siemens PLC to Profibus PA Device,

Which CPU , Communication Module , software and .. i need to

install to the system??

Tq

Regards

teh,

You can use any CPU that has a built in profibus port (e.g 315-2DP), if it doesn't have a built in port you will need a CP card. (CP343/443?)

You will need a DP/PA coupler to enable connection of PA field devices to profibus-DP.

That will give you a start

Paul

Hi PLucas,

Any additional software do i need?

For your information, i have total nos of 60 units Transmitter.

Regards

No you will not need any additional software, step 7 will be just fine.

You can connect up to 31 field devices per DP/PA coupler (if memory serves me correctly), so it looks like you will need 2 couplers.

Paul

Hello teh;

As far as extra software for PA, you will need Siemens' PDM, along with GSd and EDS files for your PA slaves. For 60 slaves, you will need to distribute the network over a number of PA-couplers/links. The exact number will depend on your working with Ex/non-Ex zones, the length of the trunk + spurs, and the power consumption of your slaves.
To make this analysis easier, download the syspa_e.pdf file from Siemens' website (entry ID: 1174285):
http://www4.ad.siemens.de/-snm-0135030360-1078737597-0000010179-0000000017-1079359750-enm-WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&changelang=true&aktprim=0&siteid=cseus&lang=en
You can also have a look at Endress + Hauser, Krone, Pepperl + Fuchs, and ABB websites. They all have excellent manuals on Profibus-PA (often geared to their products, but we can adjust).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier said:
Hello teh;

As far as extra software for PA, you will need Siemens' PDM, along with GSd and EDS files for your PA slaves.

Thanks for putting me straight on that Daniel, I have no experience with PA stuff.

As for PDM, I assumed that that is only required for intelligent field devices and HART capable devices.. but maybe I am wrong on that.

Paul

Hello Paul;

I think you could qualify Profibus-PA transmitters as "intelligent field devices". You can setup the PA slaves as DP slaves, using only the GSD files, when you connect through a coupler (no PA-link); but you are then limited to the GSD profile of the transmitter, which limits the type and amount of data available; also, no more calibration, PA-diagnostics and setup facilities are available through the network. That is the purpose of PDM (or Endress + Hauser's Commuwin software, for example).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier