GRAPH7 messages

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "to display messages in GRAPH7".

In the Extras -> Application settings Menu you have the ability to cause SFC52 or Alarm_S messages if either Interlock or Supervision faults occur, if that's what you're looking for. If you're just looking to get the information that certain (critical) Steps have been successfully executed, then you could achieve this by setting some M-Bits (or Bits in a DB) in the next Step and use them to externally generate a message.

Is that what you're looking for?

Hey Panic - sl-o-o-o-w down.

Too much speed, man. It doesn't help the typing, and that doesn't help the meaning. Like RMA I'm at a loss as to what you actually want.

GHRAP7 - I can guess at;
if a bit if a step or transtions - nested if's I can handle provided the rest of the structure's there; "a step" or "a transtions" - OK I can guess
has taken place - what has taken place? a bit? how do bits take place?

This is a crossword problem so far, not a PLC problem!

hey

sory guys for the bad typing, RMA guess right at what i was looking for, the alarm sfc should do the trick, also the flags M will suffice, thanks RMA and sory for the lack of detail.

Mr. P,

Don't forget you can also pick up a lot of good data from the STAT variables in your instance data block.
For each step you have created there are several variables indicating whether it is currently active (stepname.X), how long it's been active (stepname.T) etc.
For each transition you have created there are also several variables indicating whether it is currently being monitored for permission to move forward (transitionname.TV) etc.

Give each step & transition a sensible name, give the instance DB a sensible name and you can have easy symbolic access to all this information without writing extra code in each step.

Regards

Ken.

Thanks for that Ken, I hadn't thought of that! The only problem I've got is that with 21 parallel paths, I just cut and pasted the first path 20 times and for obvious reasons, didn't bother renaming the Steps and Transitions that GRAPH created. It looks as though it might just be worth doing that now.

You can still use step and transition names symbolically. The editor will always give them defaults like Step1, Step2, Trans1, Trans2 etc. It's just that for someone else seeing a reference elsewhere in the code to Step121, for example, it won't mean much in terms of what the process is (or should be) doing.

Ken.

hey guys

this info has realy helped, thanks,

is there any book out there or some kind of resource i can learn GRAPH7, i looked everywhere and nothing??
thanks

Yes Ken, I know that, but what GRAPH has automatically named Step_1 is actually the operation in the path for Module 2, Step_3 for Module 4 etc. Since elsewhere in the project I've been meticulous about naming everything on a per Module basis, if I start pushing out error messages where Step_1 refers to Module 2, a lot of people, probably including me if I happen to be on the end of a telephone line, are going to be getting very confused!

However, having said that, it looks as if it might be worth putting in the effort to rename everthing in order to be able to utilise the Stat data.

Simatic Panic

I don't understand how you can have S7-Graph installed without the manual. The installation process puts it on your hard drive along with the manual for every other piece of Siemens kit you've ever used.

I don't know your installation path or menu structure, but if you haven't customised your Start menu try Start / Simatic / Documentation - you'll be amazed what's in there if you've never looked.

Regards

Ken.

hello

i am awarw of these manuals in my documentation folder, however i was just seeking more litature about graph7 since these manuals only help for introduction purposes.

thanks guys for the help, if theres any book out there for GRAPH7 please post it here.

these manuals only help for introduction purposes
Wow, how deep do you want to go?

Funny, but all the information I posted about static variables and the full structure of the instance data block are contained in these manuals. I agree one of them is explicitly titled 'Getting Started', but the other one is the Siemens SFC bible as far as I'm concerned. If you'd said they weren't very readable, or that the plot sagged at times, or there was poor development of the characters I would have to agree. But I really hope there isn't a more detailed or extensive guide anywhere - I don't think I could take it!

Regards

Ken.