Adresses in RIO

hesham

I have a system using a backup scanner(1747-BSN) and RIO adapter module(1747-ASB).I have an analog card(1746-NI16I) in slot 7 in the remote I/O chassis.As i am using one slot addressing and block transfer for speciality I/O this modules occupy group 1 in logical rack 1 in the I/O adapter image .
how can i address the analoge channel in my ladder
THX

Rs
thank you for the link.I understand that the module will occupy word 9 in the scanner image file.
because the scanner in the slot 1 in the local rack hence it will occupy I:1.9 and O:1.9.
this is only one input word and one output word.
to describe my question in details i will explain.
I want to scale the anlog inputs using SCP instruction so the source should be in word level sor my case NI16I is 16 analoge input so i i need 16 input words to address the 16 analog input channel.how this colud be in case that all the module occupy only one group in the image file.
Thank & best regards

Last edited:
I believe that I:9.0 thru I:9.15 will be your image words.
RS
This means that my module is located in slot 9 in the local rack which is not the case.
it states that only class 1 is available with RIO and an SLC which means only 8 channels are available in many cases.
even it's class 1 what shuld be the address .in the program examples i didn't find how he adress the channels do you find how in the examples.
THX

You are right, I am confusing myself now. Let me reorganize my thoughts, in the meantime hopefully someone more qualified will answer.

Hesham-

I received your email but I'm relying here to keep everything together.

You don't access the analog modules in a remote rack through the I/O image table. You need to use a block transfer instruction (BTR for read or BTW for write)to reach them. The instruction help in Logix500 isn't bad if you keep a couple of details in mind.

First, in the block transfer instructions the rack number is the logical rack the analog module resides in. In your case the value is one. The group number is actually what most people call a slot number. It is the physical slot that the analog module resides in in the remote rack. There's a good reason they call it a group and not a slot but we don't need to worry about that now. In your case this would be 7, assuming you started counting from zero at the far left of your remote rack. The slot number is significant when the remote rack is a 1771 rack (PLC5) set up for 2-slot addressing. You don't need to worry about this so you set that value to zero.
The control block is a group of three contiguous integers that store operational data for the block transfer instruction. You enter the base address of the three-word group. So if you enter N7:10 the block is made up of N7:10, N7:11 and N7:12 so make sure you have enough memory set aside to fit this group without writing over something else.
The data file field defines where you want the module data to go (BTR) or be read from (BTW). Again, this is a base address of a block of the size defined by the requested word count field. So if your base address is N20:0 and you are reading 10 words the block would be from N20:0 to N20:9.
The buffer file is used as part of the data transfer. You, need to use M1 for BTRs and M0 for BTWs. Since your scanner is in slot 1 of the local rack you could use M1:1.100 for your buffer base. Buffers increase at 100 word blocks up to 3200, for a total of 32 buffers.
I hope this can get you started. Please let us know if you have any other specific questions.

Keith

Btr/btw

Keith
Thank you very much for your reply,it really enlighten the subject to me.because i am not familir at all with the BTR and BTW instruction I will review this instructions carefully:book: and come back for new questions(y)
Thanks

In Rslogix, in the project tree, click on controller properties,
It will say somthing like "OS401 series C".
Also if you remove the processor from the rack, there should be a label on the processre giving the part number, series, firmware version, etc...

If the software doesn't say series C, but the processor does, you can change the processor property in Rslogix, and then download the updated information to the processor.

Ken

Also if your processor doesnt support BTR/BTW (Latest series C) commands then you can upgrade the firmware to the latest version which does support it

BTR/BTW commands are a lot easier to use than programming M files in ladder logic if you are not used to it.

I think the firmware upgrade is prefixed with an F and is something like F1747-OS401 ? i may be wrong, if you need to know search ab's site or ill look tomorrow as i have a firmware upgrade at work....

edit: heres the pdf of the firware upgrade procedure if needed

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in007_-en-p.pdf

Last edited: