GE Series One programming

ronwil19

We have a few GE Series One PLC's at my plant that I need to upload and download too. Some time ago we purchased the DirectSOFT32 software and a D3-232-DCU com unit and cable. The problem is that the cpu is a IC610CPU130A and I don't know if this is compatable or not. I contacted Automation Direct and they don't know anything about that CPU, but say's I should check the dipswitches on the DCU. I don't have a manual for the DCU nor can I find it at Automation direct's website. I did try to communicate with the PLC, and it did see it communicate, but say's it doesn't recognize the PLC. I also have a Direct logic 305 CPU and it say's the same thing. Any one have idea's. Thanks in advance.

Actually, I will check it again, I had swing my head in sideways to look at it. I'll check and post back. Thanks.

Dcu

Thanks Andy, I searched their site high and low, guess I'm slacking today. The processor was a 104 I was trying to connect to (sorry for being a knuckle head on the powersupply p/n). But I do have two 106's I'm going to try and connect to.

Unregistered said:
Thanks Andy, I searched their site high and low, guess I'm slacking today. The processor was a 104 I was trying to connect to (sorry for being a knuckle head on the powersupply p/n). But I do have two 106's I'm going to try and connect to.

As far as the 104cpu goes, I dont think DS is going to be able to read/write to it and need to use LogicMaster.

Logic Master or TiSoft will talk to it. The ladder program can also be downloaded from the 104 and uploaded to a 105/106 CPU by tape or a .wav file using a sound card. Then DirectSoft will communicate with it. In some cases DirectSoft will communicate with a 104 also but that is trial and error.

Andy

AndyT said:
The ladder program can also be downloaded from the 104 and uploaded to a 105/106 CPU by tape or a .wav file using a sound card. /QUOTE]

Really!? a .wav file! I've got a few GE Series 3's that I'm scared to death of loosing the programs for, (currently stored on tape). Maybe I should try this on them? and stick it on a CD?

We have done it several times Mike. Instead of using the cassette recorder just use the input on your sound card to the handheld. Playback to download to a PLC. We used Windows sound recorder. It came in very handy when a customer needed help with a program but was only using a handheld. He emailed the .wav file to us and we restored to a 305 CPU. We could then view the file using Directsoft and could help the customer.

Andy

More series 1 trouble.

Andy,

I have the cassette recorder cable for the GE's and I have a port for headphones or microphone on my laptop. How would I do this using windows media player, I see nothing that says I can record using this. Is it a download from microsoft to get sound recorder? On another note, I tried connecting to our 106's with the DCU and directsoft, to no avail. I had it communicating, or seeing the 104 but it didn't recognize the processor (I understand it doesn't support it), but when I went to the 106's the diag. led came on. In troubleshooting it says the DCU is bad when this led is lit. So I hooked it back up to the 104 and now I get nothing, and the diag. lite is lit.

Ok, I found the sound recorder, this may give me a quick back up of the programs, but I still can't view it without the DCU working. I'm going to try recording the programs now.

If memory serves we had a "line in" and "line out" connection on the sound card but what you have may work also. We also made up a longer cable just to make it easier.

On the DCU you may want to check your power budget on the base, especially if the bases are several years old and you are powering the DCU from the internal supply. Also call our Tech support line and see if we can help you get it going if needed. 800-633-0405

Andy

DCU/DCM switch settings

[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
DCU/DCM modules only understand DirectNet protocol. The Diagnostic, Power, and possibly the Run lights should be lit. For a D3-232-DCU the Toggle switch should be in the online position, on DIP switch block one the only switches that should possibly be on are #6, 3, 2, and 1. DIP switch block two is used to set the station ID. This same address must also be used when settingup the link in Directsoft. Zero is not a valid address. For a D3-422-DCU the same switch settings apply, but the customer must be using a RS-422 converter such as FA-UNICON with the FA-CABKIT and the S2-25P-CVR adapter (Included with the FA-UNICON). It also helps to power up the PLC and DCU at the same time.
Most of the older GE and some TI DCU's are RS-422, which means that you must have an RS-232 to RS-422 convertor for them to work.
[/font]

Direct soft works!!

Alright! I got the Directsoft to work and now I can view our 106's programs. Now for another question I was kicking around over lunch. We use TIsoft for our TI530's. I read here we can use TIsoft (correct me if I'm wrong) 101, 104, 105 and 106's? If so, how can I connect with it, I tried just a bit ago, using the DCU (RS232 version) with the supplied cable with no luck, so I tried my TI/Modicon cable, to no avail. Do I have adjust the dipswitch settings to use with TIsoft? This is awesome, no one here has connected and stored these programs in about 7 years. And they were tape backed up then.