AB Micrologix IO Addressing

RichardB

I know this is probably an easy one, but I can't find the info on the AB site.

I'm doing my first Micrologix project using a 1200. I'll also have an additoinal 8 point AC input and a 16 point relay output attached.

My question is: How does the IO address:confused: ?

I believe the first input is I0:0, but am not sure. What about the first output? O0:0?

Any help is much appreciated.

By the way I don't actually have any hardware yet. Just trying to do the drawings and I like to label the IO wires as they wil be in the software.

Rich

io

Go to IO Configure and add your cards, then open the data files for your inputs and you will see.

1200IO.jpg

Your outputs will be O:0.0,O:0.1,O:0.2,O:0.3,O:2.0

:site:

Last edited:
No Better Place than PLCS.net

Tracy and Mickey,

Thanks for the quick replies(y).
Unfortunately I also don't have the software yet either:doh:.
Should be placing the order this week.

I did realize that there are different flavors, but forgot to specify which one I'll be using:sick:: 1762-L40AWA, 24 120VAC Inputs, 20 Relay Outs.

I think I get it, but just to be sure.
Inputs: I:0.0 to I:0.24(built-in), I:1.0 to I:1.8(Expansion)
Outputs:O:0.0 to O:0.16(built-in), O:2.0 to O:2.16(Expansion)

I had also perused the information in the link that Mickey gave and just couldn't find this info:book:. Maybe I "perused" to fast or didn't use the right search terms.

Thanks Again,
Rich

Stasis,

I guess I would need bit level. I'm used to using AD PLCs:beerchug: . You specify each input as a separate X and each output as a separate Y.

I'll probably program this way also as it is what I'm used too. That is unless you guys show me a better way:) .

Thanks Again,

Rich

Just to clarify, you have 24 in and 16 out on the main unit. You can think of the AB as similar to the AD, with the bit level. In the main unit, you assign your inputs as I:0/0, I:0/1... as you would X0 and X1... The difference is that in AD, your next card may be X20, X21..., but in AB land, you just put the slot # in your address. Assuming your input card is in the first slot, the inputs would be I:1/0, I:1/1..

Good Luck,
tommy23t

Richard B

FIRST speaking as another student watch your secretary skills. DO NOT type letter O when you really want number 0. They look the same BUT they DO NOT do the same - get it wrong and it screws you all up.

SECOND do not confuse a word type address with a bit type. I am a bit balder from this.

Make yourself a cheat sheet for how this works.
ALSO take some masking tape and mark your cards the CPU is ) uh that was a 0 (zero). Somebody double check me and ensure I am right - dont have my cheat sheet at home.
INPUT cards are abbreviated I Output are abbreviated O (that was the letter "O")
So if the card to the right of the CPU is an input card it would be
I:1/0 the first bit is a zero don't ask me why that is the way it is.
If an output it would be O:1/0.
The first bit corresponds to terminal 0
second bit terminal 1
third is 2 etc etc.

Now if you were addressing the whole word and not a bit then it would look like I:1.0. Little early to worry about this SO DON't.

Play around with "contacts" XIO and XIC commands and get them down pat first. Then the outputs. Then wwrite a small program and wire to a small light and make it turn off and on.
NEXT wire to a relay and use relay to control a motor.
NEXT and next next,,,,,,,,,

Dan Bentler

RichardB said:
Stasis,

I guess I would need bit level. I'm used to using AD PLCs:beerchug:

you'll probably need both, depending on what you're controlling. Bit level will take care of the digital in/out functions. But some internal instructions require word level addressing.

*never used AD, but I like AB stuff...it's easy enough once you get the basics...

Last edited:
Great Info

Everyone,

Thanks for all the info.

As I stated initially I'm just looking to do my drawings right now, so each IO point will be labeled with the bit level address.

I'm sure that once I get into the meat and potatoes of the program I'll have more questions. Fortunately for myself you guys are always willing to help.🍻

Rich

By the way Dan. I realize that in this field we are all students, but I haven't actually been in college for almost 10 Years. I have always been able to pick my PLC of choice in the past, and that was AD/PLC Direct. For this project I'm being forced to use AB for the first time.

Last edited: