Minor problem at work with a PLC

bezure

i have a GE 90 30 plc in a peice of equipment. i want to change the way it starts up . what latter logic program and cable do i need to get that will read the latter logic off the plc .will i need a driver like rslinx to configure my com port. needless to say i dont have a clue what i need when it come to this GE plc. thank you for any and all help .

bezure said:
i have a GE 90 30 plc in a peice of equipment. i want to change the way it starts up . what latter logic program and cable do i need to get that will read the latter logic off the plc .will i need a driver like rslinx to configure my com port. needless to say i dont have a clue what i need when it come to this GE plc. thank you for any and all help .

Do you have any documentation, or the existing program in electronic form?

There are three different software packages that can be used to program the 90-30. They are:
Logicmaster 90 or LM90. This was the original DOS software package.
VersaPro This was the first windows package for GE PLCs.
Cimplicity ME (AKA Proficy). This is the latest integrated PLC programming software for GE PLCs and motion controllers.

You will need to get one of these packages to make changes to that program. If you have an offline program backup that includes comments, that would probably determine what package you should use. If you don't have that, you will be working without discriptors regardless of the package that you use.

Also, unless you use the same programming package as was originally used, you can not make online edits without uploading the existing program and re-downloading it with the software package that you have. I really don't understand why it works this way, but it just does.

The programming packages all have their own built-in serial driver, so you don't need a seperate package for that. You do need a SNP (system ninety protocol) serial cable though. This will let you connect your computer serial port to the SNP port on the power supply of the 90-30.

Last edited:
bezure said:
what latter logic program and cable do i need to get that will read the latter logic off the plc . needless to say i dont have a clue what i need when it come to this GE plc.

Do you have any experience with this?

GE Fanuc software is downward compatable, but not upward. If you have LM90, you WILL NOT change cimplicity.

If you have older LM90, it may not work in newer processors.

ETC.

Is here any documentation around?

What is the processor model and version?

You can reprogram with Cimplicity, but that may nullify any future attempts to use LogicMaster.

LM90 Latter Logic isn't too difficult to grasp.

Sounds like you will be bedder off with a handheld programmer, which doesn't care what proccessor you have, or what software.

kc9ih said:
Do you have any experience with this?

GE Fanuc software is downward compatable, but not upward. If you have LM90, you WILL NOT change cimplicity.

Not totally true. You can make downward changes, but not online edits. If the system were originally set-up using LM90, then you can not edit the program using cimplicity. Believe me, I tried this yesterday, with this exact setup and it would not work.

You can upload and re-download the program using cimplicity though. You could then make online edits, but I don't know how you could get the descriptors into the cimplicity program.

Kc was saying you can NOT use LM90 to edit a Cimplicity program...I have to believe that because once you change an LM90 program to VersaPro then LM90 cant edit it. At least I have not been able to make it do it.

If you have the original program that used LM90 it will convert to VersaPro (and I assume Cimplicity too) with documentation. If you upload a program without the original then you will not have the documentation.

Last edited:
Paul, you beat me to it, I'd already Ctrl+C'd the quote when I scrolled down to your post!

Guess that's because you get up earlier than I do - a lot earlier if you take into account the hour difference!