PanelView300 Micro

jthornton

I am new to PanelViews!

Is there any reason not to change a counter preset directly from the panelview?

There is not much info in the help file or examples so what exactly do the handshake/notification tag do and how is it used?
The only info in the help file is "optional handshake/notification tags to ensure data is written to the write tag"...

As I read it the write tag is the address where you want to wirte a value. I am looking at an inc/dec numeric entry at this time.

John

Hi John

I don't know of any reason why you cannot/shouldn't change a counter preset using a panelview. It should work ok, I just haven't tried it.

The handshake tag is set from the plc - It lets the panelview know that a write request has been received.

I have used the notification tag in the plc as a XIC & the handshake tag as an OTE. If the OTE = 1, then the panelview knows that the write request has been received BUT your plc logic must reset the OTE after the write request is done..

As a precaution we often use a separate register to write from the O/I to the PLC. That way we can range check or inhibit the updae if the machine is in the middle of a cycle or whatever. If the new value checks out we use a move command to transfer teh new pre-set to the appropriate PLC register.

Another reason to use the handshaking tags is that you're using a PanelView 300 Micro, which has physical keypad for numeric value entry, and therefore usually relies on up/down arrow buttons for increment/decrement value entry.

Using the Handshaking tags lets you have the increment/decrement value change occur in a holding register (the Write tag address, like N7:0) and then you can MOV that value into the .PRE register in ladder logic after the PanelView operator presses the Enter key, which causes the Notification Tag to be set to 1.

There is a decent description of Notification / Handshake functionality in PanelBuilder32 Help, but you have to drill into the "Properties" detail window after you click "Help" in a numeric entry object configuration window.

Ken Roach said:
Another reason to use the handshaking tags is that you're using a PanelView 300 Micro, which has physical keypad for numeric value entry, and therefore usually relies on up/down arrow buttons for increment/decrement value entry.

Using the Handshaking tags lets you have the increment/decrement value change occur in a holding register (the Write tag address, like N7:0) and then you can MOV that value into the .PRE register in ladder logic after the PanelView operator presses the Enter key, which causes the Notification Tag to be set to 1.

Does the value in N7:0 change with each press of the up/down arrow key? I don't have the PV to play with today. I see in the help file (yes I did find it with your help) that the Handshake tells the PV that it is ok and that the PV will turn off the Notification at that point. I assume that you wait for the Notification to goto 0 before you return the Handshake to 0 to allow for communitaion time...

There is a decent description of Notification / Handshake functionality in PanelBuilder32 Help, but you have to drill into the "Properties" detail window after you click "Help" in a numeric entry object configuration window. [/B][/QUOTE]