Newbie Software Questions

mbedtom

My experience thus far is that I have seen a PLC, found this site, and found AutomationDirect website. My background is in embedded design (H/W and S/W) but these are tough times so I must get into PLC programming and automation or starve. Long story ... I'll spare you the details.

My question is, do I "get" it? Here is what I think goes on relative to PLC programming but am looking for someone to tell me where I've gone wrong:

One enters a RLL program by means of some "compiler" program like PC-PGM-BRICK (AutomationDirect). I am guessing the RLL program is "compiled" into some tokenized language that is unique to that family of PLCs. Through what is likely a proprietary communications protocol, the "compiler" program establishes a connection with the PLC via RS-232 connection (COM1, COM2, etc.), initiates a download function, and then proceeds to download the tokenized RLL program into flash memory on the PLC. After a successful download, one can put the PLC into run mode by appropriate means and your program is executing. Is that the gist of it?

Each manufacturer has their own flavor of compiler, true? If true, each compiler might be a tad different between brands, or differ by orders of magnitude, depending on the capability of the PLC it is intended to support.

I have about a million more questions to pose but I will refrain from posting too much too soon. This is my first post, so let's see what happens.

Cheers!
Tom

Yes you are correct. The plc world is ever expanding so communication to the plc can also be via a network.
Some plcs are implemented underneath Windows NT (sometimes called soft plcs) and run on PCs (Beckhoff TwinCat for example).

I am guessing the RLL program is "compiled" into some tokenized language that is unique to that family of PLCs.

Generally machine code.

Each manufacturer has their own flavor of compiler, true?

Huge differences between brands.

If true, each compiler might be a tad different between brands, or differ by orders of magnitude, depending on the capability of the PLC it is intended to support.

Huge difference between brands and even models.

I have about a million more questions to pose but I will refrain from posting too much too soon.

I would suggest you prees the "learn PLC's button at the top of the page and buy Phil's book to start with.

All PLC's have different programming software, specific to the brand. The PLC's themselves all have diffent capabilities, functions, I/O counts tec. It is quite a minefield.

Try learn PLC's, ask questions nad there are plenty of people here that can help.

Many thanks! Phil's book is on order. Would an AutomationDirect DL-06 PLC and the PC-PGM-BRICK software be a reasonable learning platform? I was thinking I could make a learning kit with as many toggle switches as there are inputs and as many LEDs as there are outputs. That could be my desktop "machine". (I would mount the LEDs and switches onto an aluminum "L" bracket and affix the whole kit on a piece of shelving from the local hardware store.) Can you suggest a better approach? My funds are limited so I need to learn the most for each dollar spent.

Cheers!
Tom

mbedtom said:
That could be my desktop "machine". (I would mount the LEDs and switches onto an aluminum "L" bracket and affix the whole kit on a piece of shelving from the local hardware store.) Can you suggest a better approach? My funds are limited so I need to learn the most for each dollar spent.
You might try hd_coop's very cool 'trainer' idea, pictured in THIS thread... (y)

🍻

-Eric

P.S. This is also a 'hint' that hd needs to update us on his progress... ;)

You can save yourself a few bucks on the Output LEDs. PLCs have status indicators on Inputs and Outputs, so you really don't need to hook up LEDs to the outputs.