RSLinx again

stvsas

I posted yesterday about a problem I am having with RSLinx. Many thanks to all who answered. I ran across a manual at work last night, and I got the impression that when I "configure drivers", I have to configure a driver for each project as opposed to configuring a driver for the PIC. Is that correct? Also, I'm still looking for a RSLinx manual.
Thanks in advance. You guys are GREAT! stv

You configure actual "Drivers" in RSLinx.

In each RSLogix Project, you can select which RSLinx configured driver to use to talk to your PLC.

You can have multiple drivers configured in Linx, but only one at a time may be used by logix to talk to a device.

OK, so I got it right. There must be a driver for each project. If I configure the PIC for project"A" and call it "PIC A" and then start another project "B", I have to configure a "PIC B", right?

Actually, there is no need to configure "PIC A" for project A and "PIC B" for project B if you have multiple PLCs on the same network.

Let's say for example that when you configure your PIC driver, you can now access data from both PLC A and PLC B.

In your RSLogix Project A, you would use the configured PIC driver to create a path from Project A to PLC A.

In RSLogix Project B, you would use the same PIC driver to create a communications path from Project B to PLC B.

In RSLinx, you only need to configure multiple types of drivers (i.e. PIC, Ethernet, etc.) when you have controllers on different physical networks.

Hope this helps clear things up a little more...

Rick

In RSLinx when you configure a driver,, say the PIC driver, it is OK to access all PLC comms that uses that same driver. In your PLC developement application you must configure what is called the "path", this directs your comms to "look" for the PLC using that particular driver. You may have several different drivers configured at the same time (and may use more than one). The important thing to remember is... What type of driver/hookup cable do I need for this PLC!!!!

DF1 is a great driver for just about all PLC, slow but reliable.
There are many drivers to choose from, if you are using the 1747-PIC there is only one driver available for that device. You must use that driver for SLC-500 and MicroLogix PLC when using the PIC.
Other A-B drivers use expansion "cards" or interface devices like PCMCIA for DH+!
That device is more commonly refered to as the PCMK card.
Most of the drivers available in RSLinx do require some type of external device or interface "card" (except DF1).

bitmore

Let me see if I can make myself clear. I have project "A". It is an L40C. I have managed to talk to it and download the program. Now, I have project "B". It is an SLC5/03. Whenever I configure the PIC, it "sees" PLC "A" as the controller to talk to. I have deleted it and reinstalled it and the tree shows my laptop and "A". So, now, if I'm correct, I have to make another tree with my laptop and "B" and I should be able to communicate with "B" when I make that tree active, or "A", if I make that tree active. Is that correct?
Or, do I make a tree and make it with three elements, my laptop plus "A" plus "B"?

If you were able to upload the project from your 'new' SLC-5/03 as you indicated yesterday, then you must have a correctly configured driver in RSLinx. You should use this same driver to download to this same SLC-5/03 as well as any other SLC-5/03.

How are you trying to initiate the download? Do not select 'Download' from the Online toolbar. To download, click on 'Comms' from the menu and then select 'System Comms...' from the drop down menu. Make sure you can see that your 5/03 is online in the 'Communications' pop up window. Then select the processor and click the 'Download' button.

RSLdownload.JPG

Do you have another 5/03 you can successfully download to?

I have several 5/03's and 5/02's that I can use. At this point, ANY processor i can see is the one I'll use. How much do I hate RSLinx? AD and mitsi are soooooo much easier.

Look at the 'Configure Drivers' window in RSLinx. Is the driver you configure for your SLC-5/03 project running? If not, try selecting it and click the Start button. If that doesn't work, click the 'Startup' button and select Manual for the time being.

OK, first of all, are all of your PLCs tied together on a common network? If so, is it a DH-485 network or what? Have you established a unique address for each PLC on the network? Are you sure that you have the same baud rate, parity, protocol, etc. for all devices on the network? (If not, correct it using the DF1 or the appropriate protocol with a cable direct from the PC to the programming port on each PLC.)

Use RSLinx to establish communications to each PLC. Use the Autobrowse or RSWho function. It will identify ALL devices on the network. Then stop the Autobrowse, but keep RSLinx open. Open RSLogix. Use the System Comms menu that Imi'ike shows, and all of the available PLCs will show up. Then use the appropriate button to go online, upload, download, whatever.

(And I agree - ADC is MUCH easier!)

Tom The PLC's are not networked. They are seperate entities in the same facility. I'm not going to be able to work on them until tomorrow, but I think I have gotten enough info from all of the responses to get results. Many thanks to everyone for the help. This site is just SO cool!

OK Problem solved, I think. A rockwell rep took the lap top beck to his office and checked it out. According to him, my laptop's com port was too slow and RSLinx would time out before establishing comms. He lent me an office laptop to use. It doesn't seem any better, but it does talk to the processors. I'm hoping to try some of the suggestions Monday. Does this sound right?

stvass,

I doubt that your laptop comm port was THAT slow! It probably is not set up correctly and this was a convenient excuse for "I don't know what the heck is wrong with this thing, but here, try this one". You can go into Windows Device manager and set the port speed higher. You can go into RSLinx Configure Drivers and set your PIC driver all the way down to 9600 baud. If your laptop is slower than that, you have got a serious problem....

Lancie: That's what I thought. I'm going to try several things Monday when I'm back at work> On a dummy processor, for sure. I'd hate to mess up what I already have. I'll post later when I know for sure. Keep the faith. stv