Ethernet Programming in RSlogix

Donghai

Can anyone please give me some detail of pragramming on ethernet in RSlogix? i.e, my A-B SLC500 needs to read data from another device (DVT vision system) via ethernet.
Thanks!

Hi Donghai,

Do you have an SLC5/05? or are you using any other 3rd party device or just another AB serial port product to interface to the Ethernet protocol? Paths (roadmap to device) will be different depending on how you implement the comms.
Please provide, the kind well informed people here reading, just exactly what hardware you are using.. ie. PLC model number, interface devices, and which DVT model....

thanx
Bitmore

Think about this in the other way: Have the DVT send data to the SLC.

Take a look first at the DVT manual. Cognix vision systems can send data to AB via TCP/IP and setting up a receive block in the SLC is simple, I'd be surprised if DVT didn't have some function to do this also.

If they don't then you'll have to do reads/writes in the format the DVT expects.

Currently A-B ControlLogix Ethrenet modules can read from 3-rd party devices only if these devices support CIP(Ethernet/IP) protocol.
I am not sure if DVT supports CIP (Ethernet/IP)

Next revision of the firmware for 1756-EWEB modile (3.x) will support non-CIP connections via socket interface.
I think it should be out in month or so.
As far as I know no plans for ENBT yet, but this may change.

Warning, Bogus Info

DVT supports Ethernet/IP, SLC5/05 does not unless Rockwell recently added it. I don't know if the DVT supports the older CSP protocol the SLC uses. If you are using CSP then one of the two devices (DVT or SLC) needs to be a master and initiate the transfers.

Take a look first at the DVT manual. Cognix vision systems can send data to AB via TCP/IP and setting up a receive block in the SLC is simple, I'd be surprised if DVT didn't have some function to do this also.
This is bogus. First, TCP/IP is NOT an application layer. The two devices MUST suport the same applicaiton layer. CSP, Modbus/TCP, EitherNet/IP are application layers. Second you don't need to set up a receive block in the SLC unless it is a master and request the data from the DVT.

Unless they have changed, DVT's ethernet cameras were MODBUS-TCP. On all projects I have done with 540 cameras and 5/05 processors, we used the DVT I/O boards for interface (i.e. product selection, image trigger, pass/fail status). The 5/05's after F/W C6? (help, Ron B.) are Ethernet I/P capable.

Thanks

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I am currently in design phase. The hardware model are still slightly changable. The customer assigned SLC500 serial controller, we chose DVT530 for vision system. If my PLC needs to read data from DVT, what hardware / software do I need any more (including Ethernet configuration)? I already have RSlogix 500 with RSlinx lite.

Meanwhile, is the instruction "MSG" to be used to read data via network? or, anyother instructions instead? I find that "MSG" can only read/write data in 3 type:
1) P2P with another SLC 500 via Ethernet;
2) P2P with a PLC-5 via Ethernet;
3) P2P with non-SLC devices via DH-485;
I am confused, should I choose the third one to communicate with DVT via DH-485, how? Or, is there other instructions other than "MSG" which can solove this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Peter Nachtwey said:
DVT supports Ethernet/IP, SLC5/05 does not unless Rockwell recently added it. I don't know if the DVT supports the older CSP protocol the SLC uses. If you are using CSP then one of the two devices (DVT or SLC) needs to be a master and initiate the transfers.

Quote:

This is bogus. First, TCP/IP is NOT an application layer. The two devices MUST suport the same applicaiton layer. CSP, Modbus/TCP, EitherNet/IP are application layers. Second you don't need to set up a receive block in the SLC unless it is a master and request the data from the DVT.

Bogus ?!? yada yada yada ... whatever about app layers, CSP, etc. I never said tcp/ip was an application layer. So what. Who cares how that data got exchanged as long as it does. Have you read the Cognex instructions manual or looked at the example SLC programs that show how to do this?

I *have* setup a SLC 5/05 and a Cognex vision system to exchange data over ethernet via tcp/ip via whatever. End of story.

SLC5/05 does not support Ethernet/IP ie I/O control, but can do CIP messaging to CIP capabile device starting with OS ser A FRN 5

If DVT supports CIP, it will work.

Ethernet and TCP/IP IS NOT ENOUGH!!!

Unregistered said:
I *have* setup a SLC 5/05 and a Cognex vision system to exchange data over ethernet via tcp/ip via whatever. End of story.

So what does the tech support guys say to the ignorant user that reads this thread and thinks ethernet and TCP/IP is enough to communicate between two devices. It make no differnce because there is one ****ed off customer.

The point is TCP/IP is just away of sending data back and forth. It doesn't mean the application on the other end will know how to interpret it. You may think this is a fine point, but it is a very important point fine point. Too many have been found too late they can't communicate to other Ethernet devices JUST because the devices use TCP/IP. If you sold ethernet devices you would know this and would get tired of explaining this to customers that screwed up.

DVT can support more than one application layer. I don't know if it can only support one application layer at a time, but I was told they can support Ethernet/IP. I was at a trade show recently. I checked because Ethernet IP would make it easy to communicate quickly with a motion controller. This is what they were demonstrating at the trade show.

Our product can support many different application layers at the same time. Each connection can use a different application layer. That means our product can communicate with a AB, Modicon, Omron and Koyo PLCs all at the same time and we can automatically tell which protocol to use so the user doesn't have to figure it out. It is possible to use our controller to translate data from one application layer to another. We did this just to make our product plays well with others and reduce tech support calls. We got tired of having customers call us and blame us as if we are at fault instead of the PLC company which can only speak one protocol.

Unregistered, I am not picking on you. I just don't EVER want anyone again to think that Ethernet and TCP/IP is all you need to communicate between two devices. I don't even want to see it suggested.

We have a very simple example if customer confused about TCP/IP

Let say you are in US calling company in France.
You are using telephone (read Ethernet)
US phone system capabile to connect to the France phone system (TCP/IP).
But the person who picks the phone speaks French and you speak English and will not understand each other (Application layer).

Unless both of people speak same language (CIP in AB controllers) you will not understand each other.

Same with cameras:
Camera will get a message via TCP/IP, but unless it supports CIP (backbone of Ethernet/IP), it will not understand the message.
So Peter is absolutely correct.

As far I know Cognex cameras support CIP for scheduled and unsheduled connections. I don't know about DVT.

Who cares how that data got exchanged as long as it does.
This tells me unregistered user absolutely incompetent in this field.

Last edited:
I just finished doing a machine with a 5/04 and a DVT Legend 510 vision system. The ethernet connection was used only for the initial setup of the camera. The digital i/o is done with the 9 pin serial connection, not with tcp. The relay breakout board is also optional. The manual states that is is ok to cut the 9 pin sub-d connector off of the cable and wire it directly to the plc.

This was also the first time I've used machine vision. When I connected the camera for the first time the only image I got was a white blob. I spend a couple of hours playing around with the software assuming I was doing something wrong. We gave up eventually and called in the salesman. He immediately pointed out that they had sent us the wrong lens :)

Hope that helps.

I am quite sure the latest 5/05 supports Ethernet/IP since we just got a new one and it pops up in RSLinx's Ethernet/IP driver list without me doing anything.

so as long as the device supports Ethernet/IP, one can use the MSG to talk to it, right?

Subtle but important differences

I have to explain this about once a week. No prob; I'm a patient guy.

The "EtherNet/IP" protocol support in the SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E controllers is only for transporting "PCCC" messages to Logix controllers using an encapsulation protocol.

You can, for example, read and write "N10:0" from a Logix controller to an SLC-5/05 using EtherNet/IP encapsulation.

But the SLC and PLC controllers don't support the other parts of EtherNet/IP. They don't support Logix native tag addressing. They don't support native CIP generic object addressing. And they don't support Class 1 I/O connections.

ControlLogix supports all of those types of EtherNet/IP messaging.

Many third-party EtherNet/IP implementors use only the parts of EtherNet/IP that the SLC's and PLC-5's don't support. Only companies that plan ahead on integrating their equipment with SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E put in the PCCC encapsulation feature.

With that being said: What parts of the EtherNet/IP protocol does the DVT vision system implement ? Do they give examples ?