Flexpak 3000 for Flywheel application

JamesCH

J
Hi..
I plant to use flexpak3000 for flywheel application. We use 150 HP, 1800RPM DC motor. Flywheel diameter is 70". Flywheel will keepturning with 1800 RPM and with full load. In the top speed, flywheel will unload and stop.
We want to replace old control using Flexpak 3000.
I need suggestion from anybody the same experience.
Thank you.
James

I have some experience with Flexpak3000, none with flywheel applications. I have learned that it's important to get the Field Economy kit for the drive, otherwise, when down, the field windings will be overheated. Also, when you change parameters in the drive, you have to save them to eeprom or they'll be lost at the next power cycle. Otherwise, no major issues with the drives.

FlexPak3000 by Reliance is a fine drive. In its standard form, it is non-reversing, non-regenerative, and does not have field economy or a field regulator.

You need to add these if the application requires it. With a flywheel, if coasting to stop or coasting from a high to a low speed is acceptable, and you are not reversing, then you do not need the reversing, regenerative version.

If your motor has the same field voltage as the drive produces standard, or, if you do not intend to use field weakening (operate the motor above base speed) then you do not need the field regulator option either.

If the motor has an auxiliary blower that runs whenever the field is energized, then you do not need the field economy feature either. However, it does save a little energy and may be desireable anyway.

And, yes, as mentioned above, be sure to save your settings to EPROM when finished programming or the software will be lost at the next power down/up cycle.