RSBizware Version7 upgrade ????

bikerdude

Hi All,
I recieved a letter from Rockwell the other day saying that I can upgrade the Bizware to version7.
I am wondering if it is worth the hassle and time to do it. It would really bite if the upgrade hosed the system and had to start from zero. That would take me weeks! The version7 "Whats New" info on the RS web site seems kind of lacking in detail. "Faster", "On-Line Changes", etc. Anybody done this with positive results? or
TIA
BD

I'm using ver 7.5 with no ill effects. I haven't used anything previous so I can't comment on what's new. I've heard there are plans to drop the RSBizware reporting tools and use the MS SQL Reporting Tools in the future, so you may want to wait.

I would not use any "non-industrial" solution in factory. Also, there is normally no price difference, if you choose for example RSSQL or InSQL instead of MSSQL (as MSSQL is included in the package).
Just my personal suggestion : stay away from "ordinary stuff".

PS
Probably now this topic will be quite popular

Hundikoer, You may have misunderstood.

The data collection will still be "industrial" but the extraction of data from the DB to reports (Web, email, file etc...) will use the new tools by MS.

Think about it, the industrial portion can focus on collecting data and let the DB experts distribute the results. The developement and support of the reporting tools can also be left the DB experts.

I welcome this change as the collection of prodution data is usually the easy part. Representing this collected data in a manner that has value to management types is the hard part.

Derek McFarland, yeah, Imissed some point.
Also I am not strong in MS latest products. But isn't it so, if you use one brand in whole system, it's much easier(cheaper) to work with it?
Also industrial users should be able to use best soultion, not handmade stuff.

"Online Changes" - This feature is not anything like your imagination (at least mine) may have made it out to be. It only allows you to correct the tag database. It does not allow you to add or redefine connectors while the system is running.

"Faster" - Yep, it is definetly that if you are using a pre version 7. If you are not having any issues with speed then this is not that big of an issue. Now if you are constantly adding/changing the tags you are reporting, the online browsing of ControlLogix tags is tremendously faster, if you set up the FactoryTalk directory (which you have to if you want online changes).

Darren

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback!
I am running version 5 now. ( I think ) Since I'm at home I can't check that now. I am having a BIG issue with speed. Some reports take several minutes to appear on screen these are "Last 24 hour reports". I have went ahead and faxed the sheet to Rockwell for the updates. Hell they are free, so why not go ahead and get them. I will carefully read the instructions that I'm sure are included. Crossing fingers here!
Updated will include RSSQL,RSBizware,RSLinx Pro.
BD

There is a utility to upgrade your RSSQL tags from the pre Factory talk (standard OPC) to a Factory Talk connection. I would definetly recommend trying this out on another machine before upgrading your production server.

Also, the faster I was referring to is the tag browsing & reading data from inside RSSQL. I do not see a huge difference on the reports side. Maybe someone else has a different experience than myself.

Darren

Last edited:
If the upgrade you're planning to install is part of one of the Coordinated Product Releases (CPR), and it probably is, be aware that you'll probably need to upgrade the rest of your software along with Bizware. This includes RSViewSE and maybe even Logix5000, and generally anything else that might be FactoryTalk enabled.

Since the introduction of the CPR releases, they say that all of your software has to be from the same release. CPR 6 is the current package, at least it was a few months ago. I'm inclined to believe it too, because I tried a few applications after upgrading one and not another (yes, I am a sick freak). I got plenty of error messages.

AK