rsview ME and pv+

darrenj

I have creadted a user name and password to log into a couple of screens in a pv+..
User name is M
password is 1234

i have found that if i just type in M for the user name and no password it allows me access??

Anyone know what i did wrong?

Thanks

D

I dont know anything about it actually but I read thru the manual quickly. From what I read you have to setup a "user" group and assign a security code to the screen. If its set to default then any user has access, unless you reset the security "default" has access to all screens. Chapter 13 of the manual. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewme-um004_-en-e.pdf

More than likely you already knew this but I mention it because sometimes its the obvious that gets missed. I didnt read far enough to determine if the password or user name has to be a certain length.

Ron..Thanks for the reply..I read that chapter before i set up my login's...but i must done the same and glossed over it..so i must have missed something.. I have 3 users..default..maintinace..and me! I have more access to bypass all stop buttons, door safties, pressure switches etc.. as you can see i am a little concerened with someone else having acesss to this..i have been working on this project for about 3 months now and the final retrofit starts tomorow..it will be 3 weeks before the machine is back up and running so i have alittle more time but i think my days are going to be full!! This is the only part of the program that is bugging me..If i cant figure it out i will have to create 2 configurations..one to load on start up and one to load on CF (Mine)..I would prefer to only have one and it must be possible...

Thanks for all your input ron..You dont know how much i have learned from you and others on this site..i usualy lerk in the backround reading and find something similar to what i need to do and adapt it from there..recently i have seen some post that bash the you..becouse you post links similar to the question rather than answers..I think your way works best..as they say
Give a man a fish he eats for a day..teach a man to fish and he sits in a boat and drinks all day!

Seriously..i am a handns on guy..tell me how to do it i do it and dont remember...make me work for it and its stuck here for life!!(example...way OT..first girlfriend would not tell me her number..i had to work to find it out..her number was 467-143..BTW i havnt dialed that number in 25 years!! I got a new cell phone last week..do you think i can remember the number??

Check the security configuration of the screen it defaults to "*". This lets any user have access to that screen. This is part of the screen properties I think. Right slick in an open area of any screen to access them.

You need the level of your secure screens to be a higher value than the others. Then set the access rights for your login to match them.

If you load the default user at startup that should be fine for everyone else but you. They will not be able to access screens that have a value other than the "*". Then you just need to login yourself when you want unlimited access.

Considering the nature of your secure buttons. For safety I would consider an auto-logout for your user. That way if you forget it will log you off and secure the terminal.

I am telling you this from memory and have not done it very many times. So you will have to try it out. I think this is correct though.

Last edited:
the auto log outis done and working...just trying to figure out the rest..i will check tomorrow when i am fresh..

You may want to verify that you have inputted your password value in the application via the User Accounts editor. I encountered this issue once myself and my problem was that I had not included the password in the studio application.

RSL is correct with respect to screen security, by default all users have access to a display. You may also want to verify that your security codes for user M are not the same as the other users.

Perhaps you should verify that the system is logging you in at all. Maybe it is refusing the login and you are still logged in as "default".

Set up a String display on your login screen (or another screen) and display the "system\user" tag. After logging in, does it show this new user?

Otherwise we are assuming you have setup security on the display and configured a login button. Make sure this has all been done.